Network Limited Connectivity

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Having recently aquired a new computer and installed XP home I now wish to use the file transfer wizard to connect to my old computer running ME. I thought about using the serial ports with a null modem crossover cable but then discovered it would be quicker to use a network crossover cable connecting to ethernet cards.

As it happened my newer computer had a built in network adaptor and so I obtained the correct driver and it then showed to be working correctly in device manager.

I then found a network card in another computer I had here and after installing that and the correct driver it too was shown to be working correctly in device manager.

Then I connected both computers using an RJ45 crossover cable and ran the XP transfer wizard.

However, on connecting the 2 computers together, even though I do get all the data lights on the network sockets, the XP computer has the message limited or no connectivity on the icon in the tray.

The wizard then fails to find the network adaptor on this computer. It seems to find it on the older one when running the wizard there.

Do I have to configure these network adaptors in any way with regards to IP addresses etc. I have no idea about networking like this between 2 computers so I am stuck as to how to get them to talk to eachother.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser,

I had already tried that but it still wouldn't connect to the other computer. Because I needed to return the card to the original computer, for now, I decided to make a null modem serial cable so that I could at least get some files across... which even if slow, did work.

When I get a chance, I'll try again to see if the connection can be made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.