Network Configurator newbie

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Pete999, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete999

Pete999 Registered Member

I'm attempting to make a backup using the Linux Recovery CD to a drive shared on a networked computer, but I don't understand how to use the Network Configurator.

On the "Welcome to the Network Configurator" screen I can either click the Next button or click the link to "Configure network connections."

If I use "Configure network connections" the list of network resources is blank. There is an Add button, which gives me the "Mount settings" box. The "Network path" box is empty and the browse button next to it doesn't help me. "Mount point" is preloaded to /mnt [which looks correct]. Username is preloaded to "guest" and the Password box is blank. No matter what I enter in any of these boxes, the OK button does not become active. "Rescan network" doesn't help.

If I skip "Configure network connections," I get to the "Autodetection of network devices" screen, but no devices are listed. "Add a device" gives me a list of devices but I don't recognize any of the names listed.

I suppose that the setup on the networked computer may be the issue. This is XP Pro, sp3. I've tried both with the "Guest" account on and off (it's normally off). I know that the network connection is physically OK, because I use it with the same computer I'm trying to backup when it's in Windows.

Where do I go from here?

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

You want to add a path after /mnt/

For instance:

//server/shared
    //mnt/mount

username
    password

This will give you the OK button to mount.

3. Pete999

Thanks. Adding a path after /mnt/ did activate the OK button, but still no joy. It seems as if my network is just not being recognized at all. Perhaps there is no Linux driver for my relatively new NIC (Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection)? How do I check/fix that problem?

4. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

If the default drivers aren't supporting your NIC, the WinPE cd will definitely work by supplying your own set of drivers.

If you've purchased DB 9 Pro or Server edition, log into your account, download the WinPE. Visit your NIC manufacturer's website and download the Vista 32 bit drivers. You can store the driver (inf files) separately on another CD or use an iso program to put the drivers inside of the WinPE iso file before you burn it. Then use a burning utility to burn the iso to CD.

When you're inside the WinPE cd, Tools > Load drivers and then network config.

5. Pete999

Thanks again. I downloaded the WinPE recovery iso. Although I couldn't get an iso editor to work to add the NIC driver to the iso, I put the driver package on a USB thumb drive and when I booted up using the WinPE cd, the USB drive was available and I successfully loaded the NIC driver.

This permitted me to map a share that I had created on my XP pro box to a drive letter visible to Drive Backup using the username/password of the user on the XP box that created the share. That user has admin rights. When I created the share, I also specified that "Everyone" had "Full control."

However, when I tried to do the actual backup and went to "Apply" I got an error message "Can't open/create file". I suspect that this is some sort of permissions issue, but I can't think of where else to set permissions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.