Network Backups 9.1 WS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dinkoarun, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dinkoarun

dinkoarun Registered Member

I have been trying TIWS 9.1 for the last 1 week and I still have some issues that need to be addressed. I am hoping someone here will be able to address it.

We have nearly 80 pcs in our company and we want to back certain files and folders in each PC to a networked server within the company. After the backup done to the server, it will be stored on to a Tape drive and used when the user wants to recover it.

I would like TIWS to backup each users data to a particular folder on the servers hardrive. The user will not be able to get access to the folder unless he knows the admin username and password. Similarly he should not be able to restore unless he has access it. However I would like to schedule backup everyday and I don't want the user to enter the password evertytime the schedule runs.

Is this possible? The server runs on Windows 2000 server SP4 and the user PCs run XP Professional.

Would appreciate anyone's help.

2. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

Now lets see. After the back is done the backups are written to tape. Are they then deleted from the server? When a user wants to recover a file where will to be downloading the tape to? Will you be downloading just the particular users backup files or everyone’s?

3. dinkoarun

The files on the server will not be deleted once they are backedup on the tape. However the tapes will be recycled every three weeks, thus on the third week the existing content on the tape will be deleted and new ones will be backed up. I have got the tape part figured out.

I need answers as to the best way of putting individual PC's backups on a common harddrive, preferably a server. However, I do not want users to have login rights to go and delete theirs or others backups.

4. GroomLake

On second thought. Here would be my requirements for your back system.

1. Ability to back up everyone’s data sets to a base set directly to tape.
    2. Do nightly incremental backups of only those files that are NEW or have been CHANGED directly to tape.
    3. Ability for user to view on line ALL of his/hers file that have been within the base tape and the incremental tapes. This would include file name, file date and size.
    4. Ability to request a restore on any file belonging to him/her on that backup set.

Backup sets could be made weekly, semiweekly, or what ever.

5. dinkoarun

I would not like the backups to occur directly to the tape drive. I would prefer it going to the server and then scheduling a backup to the tape.

I can set the preference to Incremental through the work station itself. The main feature is I do not want users to see what others are backing up. Also, I donot want them delete any of their backups unless they have the priveleges to do so.

6. GroomLake

The main point I was trying to make is that you only need to backup new or changed files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.