Network Analysis on Multi VLAN - Multi Segment Network

Discussion in 'Capsa Network Analyzer' started by jeromejc, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeromejc

jeromejc Registered Member

Hi,
    I have downloaded the Capsa Enterprise 7.2.1 trail version for evaluation. I am very happy with the details and reports generated by the tool ( I used sniffer pro earlier! but capsa is much easier to use and analyze). My network has 4 VLANs with the following 4 IP Segments: 192.168.250.0/24, 192.168.251.0/24, 192.168.253.0/24 & 192.168.254.0/24. we are running DHCP services to provision IP Address in our network. Thus when I plug the Laptop with Capsa to one of our access switches, I will get one of the above segment IP based on the VLAN of the connected port. Thus when I run Capsa, it only captures the traffic in that particular segment and the other 3 segments can't be analyzed!!!. If we can deploy Capsa centrally and monitor all the segments of our network across all VLANs, then we are willing to go ahead and purchase Capsa. Please get back to me at the earliest on whether we can deploy Capsa centrally to analyze our complete corporate network. Thank you.

Regards,
    Jerome.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi jerome,

We are glad to hear you like our program.

Would you please tell me your network structure in detail (a picture may more clear)?

You should connect the laptop to the switch that all your vlan traffic passing. Also the switch should be equipped with port mirroring functionality. And then, configure your switch to copy all vlans' traffic to the port with Capsa.

3. hrj_email

hrj_email Registered Member

Ok,
    For minotoring multiple VLAN , the first step is to config your switch to use SAPN.

If you have a CISCO switch the command is like this :

monitor session 1 source vlan1,vlan2,vlan3,...
    monitor session 1 destination your desire port

so with this command you can monitor every VLAN you like...

Thats it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.