Network Access

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by isnogood, Nov 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

No host file or proxy software, but most likely one of your last two reasons from above.

See my example about acrord32.exe in my response to xmen, the last paragraph, from looking at the firewall log yes it did precede internet access. I may be wrong, but doesn't UPnP use ports 1900 and 5000?

2. xmen

xmen Guest

Do they really "Arrive at the end result in a different way"?

What exactly is your firewall? A lot of firewalls have default rules that allow all traffic to local host. For many of these, you can turn off the rule to manage it yourself. The result is exactly the same as using AD.

I suspect your ignorance of loopback issues in your firewall is making you think AD is doing something special.

My firewall for example alerts me to _all_ network access.

3. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

If your firewall logs these connestions to LocalHost, it is most likely able to alert you about them, exactly like AD. This simply depends on your firewall rules and settings: traffic detected => ignore/log/alert/block. For known, authorized applications, logging about localhost connections is largely sufficient.

That's right: local UPnP uses adress 239.255.255.250 (multicast), connecting to ports TCP 1900 and UDP 5000.

isnogood

4. PEdge

PEdge Registered Member

I have the same issue, but on XP Home SP2, so it is definitely not Win2K specific. Has there been any status update on this?

5. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

Jason promised to look at this earlier in this thread, but the current beta has still this problem. I also realized that it is not limited to network access. On several occasions I had process modification alerts having the same problem, ie. alerts were about "system" instead indicating a specific application.

isnogood

6. PEdge

PEdge Registered Member

Same here - I've had to give "system" terminate permissions.

Another thing I noticed last night was that AppDefend stopped prompting me on execution of apps that it hadn't "learned" about yet. But now, not only have the execution prompts resumed, but so have the network access prompts, even though "system" has permission. It seems that maybe these two issues are related somehow.

I've also had several system lock-ups where the AppDefend prompt only partly appears, and the desktop pretty much freezes. In all cases but a couple, I had to hit the reset button, since I couldn't kill AD with the task manager. If this continues, I'll have to give up and uninstall it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  7. f3x

f3x Guest

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one
    If you have fast user switching you can press windows-L to switch user and then end task using another admin account, or simply going to standby mode seam to take care of the freeze

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.