netveda

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by S!x, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Now let me start out with this "DISS"-claimer.
    This is just a general comment...aimed at no one...and fer shure not to start a
    food fight.
    But I find it highly ironic, that "someone" could state that someone else is
    preoccupied and/or obsessed, when I notice "some" people spend months
    Waxing poetic over the esoteric values of some exotic firewalls.
    Installing, uninstalling several firewalls a day...formating quite often..but yet
    have nothing of value on the PC...or use on-line banking.
    So I'm Just Wondering
    Isn't that being a wee bit preoccupied, obsessed, addicted or compulsed?
    I do wish to do online banking...bookkeeping...and an occassional foray on Ebay.
    I do wish to make my PC as secure as I can with my limited knowledge.
    I do wish to have the double comfort of a leak proof FW, and Process Guard.
    I do wish to make this PC more than a TOY or HOBBY.
    If I can have Netveda do what I want, and have all my "do wishes"...then Yes
    I certainly am obsessed, and pixilated (eccentric, daft)

P.S. I surely do hate being patronized

2. Thanks Arup....I still am happy with Netveda, and I already have PG full.
    I've got winsonar on my machine....I like it....but it acts flaky.
    I have all sorts of trials and freebies...using different combos...Hoping to pare
    down..and run lite and trim.
    In case you've missed this link.....all sorts of great freebies
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm
    You should really lke d3tr.de
    It still amazes me...all the great free programs out there....and the time
    and the effort a lot of people put in them...Many are better than the
    paid versions.

Enjoy

P.S. BZ's rules are still "geek" to me.....ar ar

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Just Wondering,

I too am quite interested to see NetVeda grow to be a good app, Kerio is old now and even though it is good, have to keep an eye open for newer apps. I am giving NetVeda another try but this time with Winsonar and all other intrusion apps disabled to see if there is any type of conflict, will keep you updated. Would be happy to find the freeware firewall that works as good as Kerio with even more features.

4. Hey Nod13...saw your question over at netveda forum.
    If I understand this correctly....the rules won't take permanent effect
    if in the Security section....the... Activate component learning ... is checked
    also make sure the apply button is pushed. I have everything else checked
    in that section....I hope this helps.

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Just Wondering-

We all have our obsessions. Mine are usually brunettes:) It is just that a few of us think the whole thing with leak testing is getting more press than it deserves. From my point of view it is a cutting edge concept designed to protect against some extremely rare types of attacks that comes with major usability problems.

If you do this as a hobby, you can spend a year playing with with something like Tiny 6.5, and that is fine. So go ahead and test to your hearts content. I am not a mod, but do not forget this is a public forum and some folks will have different ideas from yours. Sometimes with spicy ways of expressing them.

Thanks for the good link, by the way.

6. Diver....I dont recall in any of my posts...trying to foist my opinions on anyone
    else.....but I felt I was being attacked for having them.

You say Tomato...I say Tomatoe....still the same thing....just a different way
    of looking at things...What may be very important to one person...the next guy
    could care less. Anyway...I've vented now...

Glad you liked the addy.....did you try erunt...very handy for our
    ...........................MAD EXPERIMENTING...................
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

@ Just Wondering...
    Hia.
    my nick's... no13 and not NOD. LOL.
    Thanks for the advice.
    my problem: It seems that rules are ineffective. I have to pause and restart the service [from its console or right click] whenever this happens.
    your freeware link was absolutely smashing.
    And BZ's rules are just apply and forget.
    here's an alternate kerio setup : www.geocities.com/yosponge : mainly for blocking of adserver ips... has preconfigured many apps for default ports [so that no app uses a non standard port]. BUT the rules-table is full for Kerio v2. It needs kerio4 if you want to add more rules.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just Wondering....

Nobody was attacking you.. if you thought so then you need a thicker skin.

And I'm *sure* you're not talking about me... ;)

9. Arup

Arup Guest

So far NetVeda is running fine, I have still left it on learning mode, no surprising reboot, as a matter of fact, after I posted the reboot issue on the NetVeda forum, I ws surprised to see a mail from their tech support asking me more details on the reboot issue including minidump, they are on the verge of releasing version 3.7 so they want to be totally sure of all the issues.

As I have said before, NetVeda has very good sandboxing feature on its own, add some better rulesets and you have a fantastic free ICS ready firewall which can go with the best out there.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup, can you explain how you got Netveda to log ICMP? I tried running it again, and even tried those settings under default user, but couldn't get it to log ICMP. I went to grc.com and did a specific port scan which usually causes grc to do a few pings to my system in the process, but I saw no ICMP in the logs. Just curious. Did I miss something simple again? It doesn't seem to log it here.. (I think it was you who told me how to do it before?)

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Kerodo,

Since your inputs are truly relevant, why not send out a mail to support@netveda.com and ask them about this issue, inputs like this would make this product truly good and free alternative to Kerio and Tiny.

They are prompt in their respose and since they are on the verge of launching version 3.7, they would truly appreciate any feedbacks you can give.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good idea Arup, I'll send them an email tonight and ask about it. It seems to be worth looking at so far... I kinda like the program.

PS - Just sent them an email. We'll see what they have to say.. :)

13. What do you mean by the term sandboxing...and how does Netveda do that. Please explain in simple terms...remember I'm clueless in tech talk.
    If I set...so and so.....to so and so.....what will that accomplish.
    Kerado...Again...I can't speak "geek" talk ...so I'll explain as best I can
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm
    If you use that tcp optimizer it will ping your computer.
    if you look in the network activity log...refresh you should see imcp activity.
    Also on that 46 best free software site..that dstr.de program has all sorts
    of goodies for you "techie guys".

14. no13

Sandboxing means that your security application [Tiny firewall, norman AV] will STOP an unknown (not present in database) application from performing any action (execution, connecting to net) at some point when it is loading, and while it is suspended, it will give you options on how to respond to this behaviour. Norman AV analyses the application using Heuristic techniques, and reports whether it is a virus or not. [Norman simply calls there heuristics as Sandbox™... otherwise most AVs have this capability... anyone wants to correct me?]

15. So basicly ....Just another way of saying application control ....like most FWs, PG, SSM and many others have.....aaah my bulb is getting a bit brighter.
    Yeah I had trouble with pcauditII and most of the afwt tester.
    Have you tried my rule set posted earlier in this thread...on my machine..it
    aces them

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Just Wondering,

I am still trying to find out the mysterious issue of reboot, as soon as NetVeda gives me a solution for that, I will check out the rule.

17. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Application control can mean a lot of things. At its most basic level is a firewall that only allows approved applications to make a connection. Sandboxing with respect to firewalls usually means that other tests are being made such as inserting global hooks, starting other applications, modifying physical memory and other behavior of a process that is likely to be malware or attempt to defeat a firewall.

18. no13

Ahh... the sign of a master...
    thx for the correction Diver!

19. okay....second part of my guestion...How is Netveda sandboxing..
    What do you do to set it up....or is it pretty much set up to do that.

Now on this machine...I'm pretty much the only user...
    buuuuuuuuuuuuuut at home, there is a 12 year old boy...who really did a number
    on my old machine....clicking on a pop-up....and going to cheat sites.

If I understand this correctly...If I set up a log on account for him....It should
    be a breeze...to limit him to the hours...sites... etc.....He he he.....hmmmmm
    looks like I'd have total control....I't will take me 2-3 hours...to reset up.

Oh and by the way....of course he said he didn't do anything.

20. P.S. to last post....meant 2-3 hours to set up old machine....
    Looks like to set up the filters should be a breeze

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just Wondering - Ok, I will try once again to see if I can see any ICMP activity. I wrote them an email last night asking about it also and am curious what they will have to say. Perhaps I overlooked something, although I'm pretty sure there's no ICMP logging. But if you are seeing some then I must be doing something wrong. I'll try again..

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, it looks like I was wrong, and it was just a case of user error. Netveda apparently does log ICMP but it's turned off by default. You have to enable it. Here's the reply they sent me this morning. That's pretty prompt response time too, so that's impressive. I'll have to put Kerio 4 aside for a while and try this firewall again and experiment with it for a while. It did look pretty nice...

"Hi,

Thank you for trying Safety.Net.

By default the Alerts for the ICMP scans is turned off. You may enable it by selecting the option in the 'Configuration' screen, Alert Reports -> Options -> "Hide computer on Internet".

This should start printing the alerts in 'Alert Viewer'.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

NetVeda Support"

23. kerodo..You and Arup seem to be getting pretty good response time...thats
    impressive for a freebie app.....

He he he....I just found out another side benefit of Netveda

My G/F was just online....on Ebay and she told me she couldn't get to
    the next page to see the pictures....My first thought was the Filters
    So I looked....Default user....Web Filters...Block Web Site Group
    I had Advertisements Checked

Hmmmmm Now I know for sure gotta get this FW on our new home PC

24. Arup

Arup Guest

Kerodo,

Are you using Avast with NetVeda? In my case, I sent them my minidump file and they mentioned aswmon to be the cause of the crash. I have sent them a feedback on this telling them to provide a rule to bypass port 12080 as we do in Kerio 2.15

By the way, how about Jetico, let us not forget this wonderful firewall as well, as long as it is free, let us also take the benefit of it, I am using it on my second PC, finally have the rules tamed to an extent, Jetico is very nice to block out all the ad related stuff that comes with your mail, most MSN as well as Yahoo group mails would have those pesky bandwidth robbing ads and it is very easy to create a rule in Jetico to filter them out.

The other request I am giving to them is to devise a IE piggyback prevention rule, this should always be set to 'ask', in fact I am requesting them to both Jetico and NetVeda. I have explorer.exe block rule in Netveda but that same rule cant be applied to Jetico as that blocks IE as well. This can be added as an option rule for those who don't use IE for browsing and only use it for Windows update.

Just Wondering,

NetVeda is truly an awesome tool for home net access management. No other program which is free offers so much, as a matter of fact, even LAN groups can be assigned individual access and facilities rights. For parents concerned about their children's surfing habits, time limits as well as content filtering can be easily applied and that too for individual group accounts on LAN. If NetVeda weeds out their bugs, I am recommending it to all home users I know as well as small office users where the admin will have total control on access.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup - I have changed back to AVG AV for the time being. Avast with it's proxy stuff made things a little more complicated with all these firewalls. I got some really weird results with Kerio 4 beta and Avast, some apps needed the proxy ports and some didn't. Not like Kerio 2 which worked fine with Avast and proxy. I tried using my Kerio 2 proxy rules in Kerio 4, but got different results. I'm thinking Kerio 4 is just a little weird there. In fact, just about anything is possible with Kerio 4... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.