Netveda - how to block pings?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JimmyD, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

I'm checking out Netveda firewall on my old WIN98SE machine. I ran the shields up test at GRC.com and everthing is stealth, but it does fail the ping test (reply received.)

Does anyone know how to configure Netveda so that it will pass this test? Under Security, advanced internet firewall, I've made a rule to deny inbound ICMP traffic but it still fails the test.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Use the "ICMP Traffic" service, and create a rule to deny outbound.

3. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Thanks, I tried that and it still fails. I think I'll find another firewall. I don't think this one is being actively developed anymore. Last release was almost 2 years ago.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi JimmyD,

It sounds like you have a problem/conflict. I did set up to check before my posting, and the rule did work.

5. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Did you run the shields up test at GRC.com? That's what is telling me that the ping test is failing. All my tested ports are stealth, though.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi JimmyD,

No, I run internal scans on my LAN.
    I will perform an online scan to verify for you. (just give me 10 minutes to setup)

update,

No replies made, Block ICMP rule working OK on this setup

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  7. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

~removed full quote of post just above~

Thanks for checking that out. I'll play around with it some more.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

One thing to try,.. create a new ICMP service rule, make the ports remote and in the range 0 - 65535, then use the new ICMP service rule in the advanced firewall settings to block outbound.

9. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

I tried that and it still failed. I even set it up to block inbound and outbound ICMP with no luck.

Something is broken somewhere.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

10. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

~removed full quote of post just above~

Hi Jimmy,

Are you, by any chance, using a router?

Phil

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2007
  11. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

No router. I just got Verizon DSL for a backup to my TWC cable and I hooked up my old WIN98SE PC to it. Since it's just a backup PC I wanted something light (and free if possible.)

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi JimmyD,

Well, I must admit, Netveda is a little limited, and with the way it forces you to allow "explorer" as trusted due to being "Parent" is a little troublesome to me.

There are alternatives, the first that spings to mind (for win9:cool: is Jetico. But this can be a little confusing at first. But it will give very good control of internet access (and free). I know other members will be able to suggests other alternatives.

Whatever you decide,.... post if questions.

13. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

Re: Netveda (now Jetico) - how to block pings?

Trying Jetico now....you are right, it is a bit confusing.

Ran shields up test with the default settings. I got the exact same results as I did with Netveda - all stealth but fails the ping test.

Edited: Never mind, Jetico just blue-screened my PC. It's off now. I'll keep looking for replacements.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  14. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Jetico will block ICMP replies with default "Optimal protection".

What we need to check.
    At the "shieldsup" site, take note of the IP (part way down the page). Then you need to run the ipconfig (from the dos prompt,... this is from the run command) and check the IP. (You may be behind a proxy or on a private LAN)

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Possibly Sygate? (If you do not have a local proxy.)

One possible download site for sygate: http://www.download.com/3000-2092-10049526.html

16. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

You know what? I actually had Sygate on my system, that's what I used for years. Since it was discontinued, I figured it was out of date and removed it. For what I need it for, it's probably just fine.

By the way, I'm currently trying Filseclab firewall. Same results. All stealth but fails the ping test. I even created a rule to block outgoing ping replies and it still fails. It must be something strange with my machine.

I may re-load Sygate later and try it again.

17. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

I think you are right. I shutdown the firewall and I'm still stealth at the GRC site. My IP listed in ipconfig is different from what's shown. Possibly Verizon is using a proxy.

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi JimmyD,

You would need to check with your ISP, as from this info, you would not be able to run P2P/torrent clients as the inblound would be blocked.

What is your IP (for your PC), is this reserved, something like 10.0.0.0?, or from the ipconfig data, what is the "Gateway",... if unsure, run a trace to this forum, (IP 65.175.38.184), this will show the hops

19. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

My IP starts with 192. When using ping plotter, the 1st hop (gateway) lists the DNS name as "DSL Router" so I guess that's what Verizon is using. As far as P2P/torrent clients, I really don't use any of that at this time. If when I ever do, I'll check into it further.

20. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

192.168.*.* is reserved for LAN. You are (as it looks) on private LAN. I would need more info.
    This would stop you from P2P/torrent inbound,.. but does give additional inbound protection.

The hop info would be, -> router/gateway -> ? -> internet. (you can PM me the info if you prefer, or not)

21. JimmyD

JimmyD Registered Member

PM sent.

22. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Resolved via PM.

(Modem included router/firewall)

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

lol, long story short, modem with FW:)

Stem, what do you think of this Netveda? I tried it, but it's way confusing for me. I uninstalled as soon as i tried to create my rules:eek:

Things appear to be in two places: trusted apps, and then there's the rules, where we can put apps, all kinds of shortcuts by ticking boxes, but then, what rules do i need? I got lost.

One thing appeared good: content filters and rules per user account, which seems to be good for parents, as soon as they figure out Netveda...

Your thoughts??

24. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Someone,

I would look elsewhere. Netveda development appears to have stopped a couple years ago.

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Interesting thought, maybe then forget Kerio 2?

Netvida is, well,.. difficult/may confuse in places, and can cause problems.

I will (if wanted) put together a post for the basics. Maybe it will help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.