NetVeda 3.61 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Arup, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks again Arup, I sure will check them out. :cool: ;)

Jag

2. Trooper

Guys is this correct for a setup with a router?

Double click on piccy.

http://img28.echo.cx/img28/8026/net4sy.th.jpg

Also, I added the rules you guys said (Clansman etc) (minus the DNS rule as the explanation is not exact). Needless to say, I blocked myself from accessing the internet. What did I do wrong?

Thanks,

Jag

Last edited: Jun 2, 2005
  3. Trooper

Sigh, where is help when you need it. :'(

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Jaguar
    No it's not good, select your NIC under "Internet" and leave "LAN Adapters" empty... Don't tick the WANmini Port since you don't use it :)

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I like this firewall, but is there any way to get it to tell you the address something is trying to access instead of just saying something is attempting net access? Because that is annoying.

6. Trooper

StyleWarz,

Thanks very much for the info. I still am unable to access the internet. I don't think this firewall is very smart so far. It does not detect my IP address at all.

I keep getting prompts that IPclam.exe has blocked 0.0.0.0 and or if I click on Firefox, the same msg appears.

Any ideas for config on this firewall? It looks nice but I am unable to connect to the internet with it enabled. :doubt:

Are there any services that I should have enabled for this fw to work? I disable many unneeded ones to reduce overkill of resources.

Thanks for your help.

Jag :)

7. Just click on help....it'll show you a picture...basic instructions there
    or click start....Programs...NetVeda...Operations Guide for more detailed instructions.

8. Trooper

There instructions are not so detailed. I read through the entire thing already prior to posting here.

I am looking for help from someone who uses this firewall.

Thanks,

Jag

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I came back to Outpost two weeks ago because it's my favourite firewall, so I can't try to help you right now... :(

And I don't have a router...

Try the NetVeda forum for help ;)

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@Jaguar
    It's a weird problem you got there, I've a router as well and it works without a problem. Maybe you should reinstall it, because you might have made a configuration mistake somewhere... Also I think this firewall ain't stupid at all, I like it more the the expensive/bloated/unstable creatures like Outpost... Wich component control messages all the time, that's what I call stupid ;) (no flame intended to users using it...)

11. Trooper

Thanks for the tidbit. I did join and post up over there today. I figured I would ask here tho as well since it did not seem to me that there forums were visited much.

I think the problem is DNS related and or its not talking to the router. If i can get someone to tell me how to setup DNS that uses a router, I should be good to go.

Outpost huh? You like that one? I feel it uses too much RAM as well as too many BSOD probs.

12. I'm on a solo PC...But try this.

Configuration..... Click None.....then click your adapter under Network adapter
    configuration only.

then click Internet adapters.

P.S. I've been using NetVeda before this thread started.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's the same of NetVeda ;)

When a new program or a new version of that program want Internet, a dialog appears...

In new version, you can allow access to all the hidden processes to avoid much more dialogs, like I do...

14. Trooper

Hi Just Wondering,

Im not at home right now so I can't test it.

So your saying basically to deselect all adapters and then click my adapter and then hit apply?

Maybe its a bug in Netveda perhaps. o_O

Well if u know someone with a router who has this, let me know. ;)

15. marceli7

marceli7 Registered Member

I did NetVeda test "UDP Scan" on site: http://scan.sygate.com/ and get "stealth" result but... In alerts log I saw many ICMP3 out blocked :eek: AFAIK it means that packets get to the system and not find open ports.
    Am I wrong or does NetVeda allow all UDP inbound? Well... The same test in other firewall shows Inbound UDP packets blocked in log and no ICMP3 out. Am I missing something?

16. Trooper

You see the thing is, if I uninstall it, it's gone for good. I was hoping this fw would serve my needs for outbound control. Since it does not even work (on my system anyway) I do not want to uninstall/reinstall. I like to keep my pc as clean as possible and by doing this, will not help me with that. ;)

If I am unable to fix it or get help within a few days, sadly this fw is gone for good.

I will wait to hear from Arup, he seems pretty knowledgeable with this firewall. :cool:

17. Yes under...Installed routing configuration....Check None
    Under Network adapter configuration...........Check your adapter.
    Network activity reports............................Check internet adapter.

Apply

Leave the DNS unclecked....Follow my basic setup rules earlier in thread.

If that doesn't work....try uninstall...install....and click on icon before you
    reboot....and do what I said above.

I've also read....some people are having trouble installing...if they've had different FWs on their machine....maybe a good registry cleaning before install

I've never had any probs with it....So kinda hard to answer Networking probs.

18. Trooper

marceli7,

Not sure but maybe some other Netveda users can tell you what to do. I have a router so I am not as concerned. If this is your only line of defense I would look into it further.

19. Trooper

Just wondering,

I will check it out later this evening when I get home. I have not had any other sw firewalls installed, this is a clean pc it was just built last week.

Hopefully this is something that can be worked out quite easily. ;)

20. Marceli

The default rule in NetVeda....Security....Advanced Security....Is UDP echo
    deny all

Default User......Application Control.....I have ICMP blocked.

I blocked whatever I didn't need or use...like POP3...See Clansman and my
    basic set-ups earlier in thread.

If you make a goof...it's easy enough to undo...Its a very forgiving FW.

Oh if you right click on NetVeda icon.....uncheck show alerts....Just have
    show warnings checked.

Play around with it for a while....explore all the power it has...If'n a FW
    non geek like me can figure out most of it...anyone can.

Out of the box...it comes with a very good set of rules.

Most of the time ....it takes far longer to explain here...then to actually do
    it...But you will be amazed at the many options it has...and the different ways to do things.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Jaguar,

Your router configuration is fine, what I want you to do is to start with no rules but default for now and see if you gain net access, we will take it from there.

22. Trooper

Arup,

How do I get it back to default settings? I will try this once I get home.

Thanks,

Jag

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Delete all rules you created or added, then hit the stop and then the start button on your NetVeda admin.

24. Trooper

Arup,

Set everything to default settings. Absolutely nothing is checked, I can now get on the internet.

The only things that I have checked are this.

Double click on pic for full view.

http://img89.echo.cx/img89/7969/net3ch.th.jpg

What step(s) should I perform next?

Thanks so much,

Jag

25. Arup

Arup Guest

Jaguar,

Glad to be of service, no need to thank me. Now all you have to do is go to security options, turn on DLL component in learning mode, also block out all unsolicited incoming connections, remember, in NetVeda, whenever you apply new rules, you have to stop and start the firewall to make them functional. After that, do a scan at GRC, if it gets all green, no need to do anything more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.