Netsky.q How do i get rid of it. tried d/l no luck

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by taperino, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taperino

taperino Registered Member

Hi,

I ran a virus check and says I have Netsky.q virus. Just got it today.

On Nod32site I d/l the netsky clean file but it didn't find the virus. It's in outlook!

The virus is in outlook an the email came thru hotmail which nod32 doesn't scan.

Any help appreciated. Thanks, Ganaan

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Ganaan

Did you try scanning in the safe mode?

3. taperino

No, Ronjour,

Can you tell me what you mean? by safe mode?

How do i run it in safe mode? Thanks so much. Ganaan

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This link shows you how to start in safe mode.

Get in the safe mode and scan again with the tool or NOD.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Ganaan, can you delete the email that arrived in your Outlook “inbox”, and then empty your “deleted items” folder. This should remove what has been found. After this run a scan in "Safe Mode" as per Ron's link.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

6. taperino

Dear Ronjour and Blackspear,

After I deleted the deleted mail, then ran the NODs Netsky remover there was no virus, and nod32 said now there was no virus.
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

But nothing got cleaned, and I'm wondering is my system okay now, by just having delete that deleted file in outlook?

and;
    What is the normal procedure when I recieve this mail. Delete it (as I had done)?

Thanks so much for your help, Sincerely, Ganaan

7. Blackspear

Excellent. As this has arrived in by Hotmail, Nod32 will detect any problem via a scan or upon activation of the infection AMON will pounce.

Our pleasure ;) :D

Nothing required cleaning as the virus was not active…

Indeed.

Hope this helps…

8. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

I've been getting loads of Netsky.q and Netsky.d in my emails lately, all of them picked up by NOD.

The strange thing is, I've not been getting any viruses from my emails until about 2 weeks ago.

Any idea why there's a sudden increase of the virus floating around.....

9. Blackspear

It's just a rain cloud that has appeared, it happens from time to time ;) :D

10. taperino

Dear Blackspear,

Thank you for your replies! There were all encouraging to me.

The way I knew I had a virus was cause little programs were popping up, and that's how I knew to run the virus scan.

Even though NOD shows no virus now, doesn't my system have some ill effect from it (the netskyq.)

Since Nod didn't catch the hotmail netsky virus, are there some settings I should have on that I don't?

Just to be sure, to double check - I am supposed to delete those netsky messages and then empty the deleted box and that clears the virus?

Thanks so much Blackspear!

Sincerely,

Ganaan

11. Hum

Hum Guest

Noticed programs popping up..............

Sounds like it was "missed" initially by NOD......

12. Blackspear

My pleasure, and good to see ;) :D

These popups are nothing to do with a virus. Your computer has other issues.

Can you please follow the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning with Nod32.

If these steps do not resolve your situation, you will need to download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found here.

The steps mentioned in General Cleaning with Nod32 use software that ought to be part of your security, as an absolute minimum.

Once your system is clean, please don’t hesitate to ask further about using security to protect your computer.

Actually it did, and has been for quite some time.

For tweaking Nod32 up to maximum strength you can take a look at Extra Settings for Nod32

To do with securing your computer, this is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=315075

You may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

Indeed you are correct.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

13. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Well, my dad kept getting netsky and the protoride..... sometimes he would not even be online and out of the blue 4, 5, 6, ot 7 would hit at once without an apparent reason.
    He used MSN for years as his dialup provider.. which as you know uses hotmail which I am not impressed at all with at its ability to screen out stuff...

nevertheless I finally talked him into going with a local cable company so he is off dialup and also off msn's email service....
    no more viruseso_O imagine thato_O Granted he now has a new email service.. but he STILL has msn until this transition is over? So in other words, the biggest difference I see is that he is no longer using msn as his isp?
    if this is not the problem, then who knows... but, no msn = no viruses now!

14. Blackspear

15. taperino

Dear Blackspear,

Thank you for all the instructions for me to do to clean my system. I'm afraid to try any of it, but will try to build up the courage.

I'm just so new to windows xp and don't feel comfortable messing with anything.

My system occasionally doesn't come up, and I have to take off the cover off the cpu and press the radiator looking thing that cools the chip - i have to press it down. It must come loose occasionally. I'd hate to bring it in for service, cause they would get it to work and might not address why it isn't secure to begin with. Anyway, the sys sometimes will work after I do that.

Thank you again for all your advice. It's good to know I may not have a virus with MSN search box popping up occasionally.

Take care,

Sincerely,
    Ganaan

16. Blackspear

Hi Ganaan, take each step and one at a time. I have no doubt that you will indeed be fine.

This is a heat issue to do with cooling your AMD CPU (processor), you will need to address this ASAP or you run the risk ok both cooking your CPU and Motherboard. You need to change the “fan and heat sink” at a cost of approximately US$20 to $30.00. It is a matter of making sure the heat sink is suitable for your motherboard and processor. Simply take your computer the nearest Computer shop and check with them that you are purchasing the right component.

My pleasure.

Indeed, but you need to address the issue of this as well, and it’s a matter of following the steps in the link that I provided.

All the best.

Let us know how you go…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.