NetMeter and BitMeter- Any user?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi aigle. :)

I'm using BitMeter2 - :D

Untitled-1.jpg

- and have been using it for quite a while - a year or so.
    NetMeter is also good. I have that aswell. The two are practically the same (same options), there's difference mainly in UI.

As far as I can tell, they're clean (while I'm not sure what exactly do you mean by "clean"), no malware or adware involved. But watch out for the RAM requirements, BitMeter is using 20 mb, while NetMeter uses additional few mb. Real-time history graphs of any kind are hugry for resources. This is valid for XP.

However, I tried BitMeter on Vista, and it used barely 5 mb, if I remember correctly. It seems that Vista allocates memory in a quite different manner than XP.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers, :)

3. Arup

Arup Guest

I have been using Net Meter for years, its trouble free and works quite good, its totally clean and a good free alternative to paid bandwidth meters.

4. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I use Netmeter and have never thought to check how much it uses. Just looked and in 2k it is using 4140K

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I can confirm this.
    NetMeter is using 3624 on Win2000, 4420 on WinXP. All in VM.

There's a freeware similar to NetMeter with a similar name, Net Traffic Meter, I just mixed up the two (because of similar names). :p My bad. aigle, take a look at that link, you may want to consider this one too. :)

So what I said about BitMeter still stands and what I said about NetMeter goes for Net Traffic Meter.:)
    I believe these two use this amount of memory as they keep a kind of statistical logs of transfer occured in the past, so you can review/backtrace your past activities/transfer. NetMeter does not have such feature, it's much simpler but also nice and useful. I kinda like to have a feature like that, so I'll keep my BitMeter. :D

I would also like to add that BitMeter and Net Traffic Meter require Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 to be installed. NetMeter does not.

Cheers. ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for ur responses especially Seer.
    I think I might prefer to use NetMeter as it uses less resources.

I use Yahoo widgets and was looking for a widget for this purpose but could not find any.

Edit: Jut now I found many widgets with same functionality, will have a look on them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.