Netgear WNDR3700

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Trooper, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi folks,

I posted this on DSL Reports but have not received a response yet. Though I just posted it today. Figured I would try my luck here at good ole Wilders. :D

Hi folks,

Im new to Netgear and coming from a Linksys. I have a few questions to start off with. If there is a FAQ somewhere or a link to another site, please feel free to send me in that direction.

My questions are:

1. How can I setup my router to be nice and secure? I did enable WPA2-PSK [AES] encryption with a 63 character passphrase. Do I need to to anything else to lock it down? Is this OK as far as secure connections? Just want to make sure no one is hijacking my internet connection here.

2. Im new to the whole dual band thing with routers. I see there are configs for Wireless Network(2.4GHz b/g/n) and Wireless Network (5GHz a/n). I assume that I must lock down both? If so, what's the difference (aside from speed) on these? How can I connect to 5G? I assume this is just for N rated devices?

3. Guest Network Settings b/g/n and Guest Network Settings a/n. I assume that if Im not going to use these to just disable the SSID name. But in addition, should I also add security to both of these? How exactly do these configs etc work for guests into my home?

I think that's all for now. I may have more questions down the line, but would appreciate some help and guidance with these initial questions.

Thanks very much.

2. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Trooper,
    'This space for rent.' Gave me a chuckle. Thanks.
    Maybe you would be better off asking these questions at 'www.smallnetbuilder.com/'.
    Lots of good info there too.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

in addition to what you did already (dual band is covered with your choice of wp2), change the admin router password from default, unless you did it already. don't disable ssid, it has no bearing on security whatsoever. disable remote support access (although if existing it is disabled by default, check just in case).

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

5. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks guys.

Question about the dual bands. Do I need both? Would it be better to disable the 5GHz range?

Thanks for all the replies, and I will check out those sites.

Cheers! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.