Netgear RP614 should be named "RIP 614"

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by HandsOff, Jul 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I just finished trying to install my first router the RP614 only to find it was broken. first I spent countless hours trying to figure out what i was doing wrong. I called the "customer support" number. it was one of those automated systems. I knew i was in big trouble when the cold automated voice told me to push 1 if it was model RP614, or 2 for all other routers (I am not making that up!) when i finally got to hear a human voice, i was told i would be forced to register my product (including name, street address, telephone number and email address before they would talk to me) So i went online to register. i then had to wait for them to email me back a registration number "within about 15 minutes - Ha ha ha ha ha! (which they never did) when i called back the rep said i must not have registered with my correct email because my email was not in the system. I told them when i did not get a response i tried to register again but the system said no, because i was already registered. However it still would not tell me my registration number! I was told words to the effect, that basically it was all my fault, and I was really forcing them to stretch the helpfullness of tech support to its very limits. Finally when they decided we could discus my router, it turned out the that the unit was defective. I was advised to exchange it for another one the next day. I had to ask..., and yes i would be required to register that one before they would discus anything with me again. HELP! i really don't want to go through this again! will Linksys BEFSR41 or the (presumably) more secure SX41 be a better shot at a happy ending? installing for two computers, one xp-home, one xp-pro. one motorola sb4200 cable modem and one RCA DCM245R cable modem. Both computers have ethernet cards installed. The cost difference between the SR41 and SX41 is only $14. are they both as easy to install? is the added security of the SX41 real, or just hype?

"I JUST WANT IT TO WORK!" - famous computer user's quote

- HandsOff

P.S. - anyone who laughed hasn't owned a computer for long!

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Netgears are really very simple to setup and use, I understand that you have had a problem, and in my experience this is highly unusual, however they do come with 7 day, 24hr support for 2 or 3 years depending on the model (and maybe the country?).

I have sold hundreds of Netgear Routers, generally the DG814 Modem/Router/Firewall combo

The easiest way to set them up is to do the following:

Open a webpage
    type in 192.168.0.1
    username = admin
    password = password
    on the top left had side you will see "Wizard"
    Click on that and follow the prompts, which is usually to enter your username and password provided by your ISP.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

4. HandsOff

Thanks for your replies, and i realize netgear has a good reputation as a decent cost effective router, and I will take a look at the DG814, at least as a comparison. I still believe the RP614 has some design or manufacturing flaw because I read all too many complaints about on my isp's web sight as well as the one FanJ pointed at.

I can easily image some people think I was too hard on Netgear, but consider three things:

1. They are obviously aware of some sort of defect, or else why would they have to dedicate one entire catagory for that router, and one to handle all the rest put together.
    2. Even knowing this, they refused to talk to me until i registered, and told me basically, don't call us we'll call you.
    3. I really don't see why customer's should be forced to divulge personal information about themselves. I believe an ethical company that puts out a quality product should support the product and treat their buyers with respect.

Everyone's time is valuable, at least to them. Straight up, they wasted my time, so yeah, i am not too happy with Netgear. That said, I do understand that they must have something going for them to have the generally respected name they have. I hope they don't let success go to their heads.

- HandsOff

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

6. HandsOff

Thanks for your input, but as it turned out it was malfunctioning hardware that was at fault. as you know it has a default username and password for its internal page:

Open a webpage
    type in 192.168.0.1
    username = admin
    password = password

in this case it would not accept the password, and there is a small button on the back of the router that supposedly allows you to reset it. I my case it would not reset (display is supposed to flash when you reset it). also, i have reason to beleave it had other problems as well.

as for the concept of firmware upgrade...I am a realist. I know that the software that comes with a unit sometimes does not work well, but i do expect it to work. If it does not do what it claims to do then i take it back and buy something else (in principal). I figure if enough people hold them to their claims, someday in the distant future manufacturers might actually start telling the truth on the outside of their products boxes.

i will admit, getting a defective unit does not prove the RP614 to be a bad router. Just the same, I just bought the Linksys BEFSX41. New brand, new luck...I hope to pick it up today. I hope I have not jinxed myself by saying that before i install it!

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.