netbook battery is never fully recharged!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ams963, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

I use one of the Acer Aspire One Series netbooks. A red light in front of the mouse touch pad shows that the battery is recharging but not full yet. It turns blue once the battery is fully recharged and runs on AC power.
    I can see the power meter by clicking on the tray icon.

Now for a week or so, I keep recharging the netbook but the battery never recharges fully.

The red light on the outside never turns blue. The power meter on the inside shows that battery is recharging..30% remaining. Increases gradually as usual to 40%, 48%, 60%, 79%. But then it stops increasing. It never crosses the 80%. I've checked the power settings through control panel. The settings are the same as before.

So, is there something wrong with the battery? Have any setting been unintentionally and unseeingly changed by me? Any malware causing it? What should I do?

Best Regards,
    ams963

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let the battery run fully down and then try a recharge.

The battery may be faulty as well.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

There could be a piece of software running that prolongs battery life. Sony laptops have it

4. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

My netbook (Asus EEE PC 1015PN) only recharges when it reaches something like 95% or 90% when connected to the outlet. This is normal for modern laptops, as it saves the battery from constant charging. However, your case doesn't seem to be normal, as the battery definitely should charge up fully after it has already started charging. And 80% ? Odd number if you ask me.

I'd go with a faulty battery. Cudni's explanation also makes sense though, some laptops indeed do have this kind of software.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I've done that. Running my computer down just before the point of hibernating and battery meter shows 5% remaining. But to no avail.

But I've not installed any software for half a month now. And this problem is occurring just about a week....um...okay..um....last Sunday morning to be exact...when I noticed that the battery never recharges fully. And I have never experienced this kind of weird thing before when I used to change my software a lot.

I've been using the netbook for more than a year now and it always acted normal:

Maybe it's got something to do with my battery. Should I replace it with a new one? What do you think my good friends?

6. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Does this netbook have some sort of a battery calibration software? I've seen old Compaqs using calibration, and sometimes the calibrations software gets out of whack with the reality when it thinks the battery is charged when it's not. Removing the battery and putting it back sometimes helped. Just an easy thing to try before ditching the battery.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

no idea..the only things I change since buying the netbook a year ago are security software. And the problem only occurred suddenly last Sunday. This is what surprised me. Furthermore I've even restored an image taken two months ago to rule out any possibilities of unwanted changes in settings or installation of any software. But still to no avail.

Already tried that.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

wow.... shiver me timber..:eek: .....that's battery research man.... I don't want a degree from the battery university on this......I would better replace my battery than loading my already stuffed brain with those enormous data..:argh: ...

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

try uninstalling the windows ahci driver from device manager and then reboot then let it search for the driver again and reboot again. sometimes this fixes the problem also. and try to disable hibernate and sleep and let the battery drop down to 0 till its fully dead then attempt to fully recharge it.

added pic of driver to uninstall:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

there is no microsoft composite battery...

thx....will try that and see how it goes......

Attached Files:

12. zfactor

what is the unknown device?? and are you on win xp?

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yes I'm on win xp home edition sp3 32bit...........

I have absolutely no idea......
    here are the screenshots of the properties.......

Attached Files:

14. zfactor

can you pull the list down in the third pic and post the hardware id? see pic for example

Attached Files:

15. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I thought SASKUTIL was something to do with Superantispyware?

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

okay......

Attached Files:

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I tried that last night...for the last few days the battery would show 69% charge remaining....and would not charge no more....after last night it shows 83% charge remaining .......and will not charge no more......

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

19. zfactor

^^^ was about to post that. hard to say for sure but i would make the best guess its prob the battery. you may have a cell or more going bad

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

googled and found out it's indeed related to superantispyware given the fact that I had sas free in my pc for sometime ......

uninstalled the device anyways....

but my original prob that is battery not charging full not solved yet.......I guess I have nothing to do except replacing my battery with a new one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.