Netbook acting dead

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ams963, Sep 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi,

My brother's netbook is acting dead. Like the battery light on the outside is showing to be charging and all but pushing on the power button does nothing. No light on the power button, nothing on the screen. Tried with battery off and on AC current. Nothing. Started about a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly the netbook died. Then after few days it started. But again died and not responding.

What's wrong? Anybody any guesses? I would really appreciate it.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Try unplugging it from the power, removing the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Then plug in back into the power, but leave the battery out for now and try powering it up again.

3. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

It didn't work.:( Just no response. Even the power light at the bottom front side doesn't show.

4. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

Could the internal battery which powers the CMOS memory/RTC be dead? Usually it is a CR-2032 battery located beneath a trapdoor on the bottom of the unit.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Hi Aryeh,

The netbook is Acer AO532h. I don't know if the battery is dead or not. I didn't even know that kind of battery existed in a netbook/laptop!

How do I reach it? At the bottom of the netbook there's only doors screwed up for HDD and RAM. Removing the HDD gives a dead end with nothing to reach. Only case is there. If the internal battery you're talking about is dead what should I do? Get a new battery of that type? But how can I be sure the battery is dead? What if the problem is somewhere else? How can I insert a new battery if I can't find where it's located in the first place?

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Which one are you talking about?

Image0046 - Copy.jpg

A- HDD, B- RAM and C- battery

8. Aryeh Goretsky

Aryeh Goretsky Security Expert

Hello,

I just looked through the service manual, and apparently this netbook does not have a discrete CMOS/RTC battery; the function must be performed by some on-board component.

The only other suggestion I have is to try resetting the CMOS memory. The service manual explains how to do this by shorting a jumper beneath the SO-DIMM.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Sorry, thought you were talking about the main battery. Clearly not a hardware guy I am.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@Aryeh Goretsky
    Okay I'll try that.

@J L
    That's okay. Thanks for trying to help.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.