.net framework..what is it for?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by whatever, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatever

whatever Registered Member

i was updating my ati drivers and there was two options on for the basic driver update but with out the updated catylist control ...the other update with the updated catylist control you had to also download microsoft .net framework to install it..my question is this..what is the benefit of having microsofts .net on your computer? i searched the microsofts website and there is really no explination of the benefits of having this installed...also what is the optimal settings for privacy and security using microsofts .net framework?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

.net frame network is a developers tool, it does have some security advantage. I personally have no use for the .net 1.1 update here is the link to the microsoft .net framework developer center here . maybe a little bit more info for you.

3. SvS

SvS Security Expert

The primary benefit for end users is that application developed using any of the .NET languages (C#, VB .NET, managed C++, ... ) will run (like the ATI Catalyst Control Center)... ;)

Other than this, the .NET Framework offers enhanced security to some extend (.NET may be compared to Java, the code runs in a virtual machine which manages memory, there is a code access security model, "strong named" assemblies minimize the risk of accidently running untrusted code etc.) .

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Visual Basic developers used to distribute vbrun300.dll. A run time environment need to run apps developed in Visual Basic. .NET is the new MS runtime environment.

Security? Yeah, right, but only to remedy bad programming habits, like protecting against buffer overflows. It is not a security measure for end users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.