.NET FRAMEWORK UPDATE FAILURE

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Darph_Bobo, Apr 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darph_Bobo

Darph_Bobo Registered Member

the most recent .net framework security update refuses to install on my system..

ARGH!!!

I tried del. SP2 and then reinstalling it and all the updates. everything worked except that one STILL.

Ideas?

2. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Which version of the .NET Framework (1.1 or 1.0) is installed on your system and what error do you get?

3. Darph_Bobo

I Got Error code 643 (according to install history on update site.) while installing .net Framework Version 1.0 SP3, (KB886906)

BUT.. now I see Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB886903) was installed... so why am I getting this update at all? And I am still showing my internal IP as exposed.... or am I being stupid. I have Zone alarm Pro, Pestpatrol and Norton Antivirus 2003 all running. Hmmmm

honk honk
    Clown Boy

It actually looks like I have BOTH installed... o_Oo_O??

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  4. SvS

SvS Security Expert

.NET Framework 1.0 and 1.1 (and all subsequent versions) are installed side-by-side, so newer versions of the .NET Framework don't replace the older versions. So applications utilizing the .NET Framework may request the specific version of the Framework they were developed with.

As for the problem you experience with with the Security Update for .NET 1.0 SP3, this usually indicates a problem with a missing Windows Installer package for a previous patch, update or service pack you may have installed for .NET 1.0. You may try the standalone version of the update (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4e6d56e5-3d8d-423b-99a1-41edf23d65bc&DisplayLang=en) which usually gives more detailed error messages when it fails.

5. Darph_Bobo

Thanks.

We'll try it. See what happens.

6. Darph_Bobo

ok.. so now when I went to install it wants "netfx.msi". I can't find it in my system anywhere. ARGH!

7. SvS

SvS Security Expert

Ok, so the patch requires the original installation source for the .NET Framework 1.0. This usually means that there is some file, registry entry or configuration file which is part of .NET 1.0 is missing and needs to be restored or recreated.

You probably won't find netfx.msi anywhere, depending on how .NET 1.0 was installed netfx.msi usually is a temporary file extracted from dotnetfx.exe. You may either download the .NET 1.0 Runtime files from the Microsoft Download Center, open the executable using WinZip (or some other Archiver able to open self extracting executables) and extract the included copy of netfx.msi. After this you may point the installer to this file when it is requested. Another option is to select "Repair" for the .NET Framework 1.0 entry in Add/Remove Programms which will open a webpage with instruction to resolve the situation. The first option is the more easier one if you ask me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.