Net framework 3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dbknox, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I am on dial-up and needed net framework for a few "open source" programs. I had a freind in the city download net framework 3 for me and installed it on my computer. I notice I now have "Microsoft xps document printer" now. Upon searching through my "C" drive I see a "XPS document viewer" but it doesn't open when I click on the executable. Does it need Microsoft office" before I can use this document printer?? Or do I need "net framework" 1 or 2 also?
    ( I have been asking so many questions on this forum I may have to change my login name to "thebrainpicker")

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't really understand your problem, you always download/install the latest version, which is .NET Framework v3, just like you do with any other software and remove any older version, but keep the older installation files, just in case.

If NONE of your applications, that need .NET Framework, have problems with .NET Framework v3, you are OK. Case closed.

If one or more of your applications, that need .NET Framework, doesn't work properly or asks you to install an older version of .NET Framework and they usually do, than you install that older version. Case closed.
    This might never happen, just wait until it happens and then you know what to do.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Thanks ErikAlbert for your reply.I was hoping that what you stated was true when I just installed version 3. Anyway the problem is as stated.
    I can print using the XPS printer and see it in the folder where I sent it but I can open neither the ".xps" file nor the "viewer". They do not do anything.

4. ErikAlbert

5. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

This ia very strange ErikAlbert I went to the link you gave me and read that Iexplorer will open an xps file so I tried it with Iexplore again ( for the 4th time) and it now works. Go figure. Everytime I tried to open the file using Iexplore the pop-upo window would open asking me what I wanted to do with the file "open" "save". Oh well alls well that ends well I guess.
    I knew Iexplore was suppose to open it, as it turns out the page I had printed using xps printer was the directions for using xps,. But I wouldn't have tried it again with out your "nudge: thanks.

6. ErikAlbert

Maybe a warm boot or cold boot was required to make it work, who knows.
    I'm glad it works, one worry less. :)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think you may have a lot of problems without .NET 1.1 and 2.0 also. In fact, I could not install .NET 3.0 until I had installed .NET 2.0 again which I had removed after the latest MS patch for it caused me a big headaches. I still had .NET 1.1 because that is used by a great many applications. .NET 3.0 refused to install. I was troubleshooting it with a Microsoft employee and nothing worked until I reinstalled .NET 2.0. Then .NET 3.0 installed easily.

So, you have a new printer with the capability to print xps files? I have the XPS document reader but I can't print xps files from it because I have an older HP Desk Jet printer which I have no intention of replacing as it is an excellent printer and besides who prints that often? I seldom use my printer. I think you have to have Vista to use the new XPS compatible printers anyway and I don't plan to get Vista.

8. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Hi Mele20 I had no trouble installing version 3, without version 1.1 or 2. I needed net framework to be able to use my program "Paint.net". Version 2 would have worked fine, but, because I am on dial-up and the net frameworks are so large, I figured I would try just version 3 and see if "paint" worked, once I downloaded Version 3 and installed it, paint worked. But I noticed upon installing net framework 3 a "print to file" type of printer called "xps document writer" so I tried printing with this "Pseudonym" printer and see what it opens with. I couldn't open the resulting file with the extension "xps" so I did a search on line and found out I needed a "xps viewer" I search my directories and I had the viewer, so I tried to open the viewer by clicking on the executable and nothing happened.
    I tried opening it with Iexplorer, but the first time I tried it, I got a pop-up window asking what I wanted to do with the file "open, save etc." I chose "open" and nothing happened a couple of days later after ErikAlbert wrote , I decided to try again using Iexplore and lo and behold it worked.
    So it works with XP, but I still can't open the xps viewer. Don't know about that.

9. ErikAlbert

10. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

Went to that link ErikAlbert looked around a bit and I ended up here
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/xps/viewxps.mspx
    It looks like the writer and the viewer are included in "net. framework 3".
    I will have to delve a little deeper onto why I can't start the "xps viewer".
    Not that it matters, I could just open the xps file with Iexplorer and print, but my curiosity is piqued.

11. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I am wondering now if maybe the viewer is an Iexplorer "plug-in". It does say at the page I linked to "opens with iexplorer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.