NeT Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rx2pc, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I remember looking at the web site briefly some time ago. It appears to be another one without app control, similar to 8Signs or CHX-I possibly. Other than that, I have no experience with it. Could be good though...

3. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

well... the guy attacks all app control firewalls in no oblique manner... so I guess I'll pass up for now....
    enticing... but there are numerous packet filters out there, some like CHX-I that are pretty hard to beat on terms of quality [or price!]

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

New to me, untested by many,(here anyway) and worst of all the price for what you are getting. :p

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Wow what a price does that come with a free PC?

6. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Thanks Kerodo.

This is exactly the type of answer I was looking for...an analytical one...based on the function of the program. ;)

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

How about trying it out and reporting back? Curious minds want to know... :)

8. Andrew_Kon

Andrew_Kon Registered Member

Hi guys!

NeT Firewall is a junior product, but it's kernel and user mode are tested enough.

I would be pleasured enough to see your comments about our product.

9. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I just installed this firewall on a virtual machine and I thought I'd post some initial thoughts. Keep in mind that when I'm not experimenting with other fw's, that I'm a Visnetic user, and that will be my basis for comparison. Also these are my initial thoughts, not anywhere near an in-depth test.

What I like:
    -Interface is easy to navigate; layout is very similar to Visnetic/8signs, that's a good thing in my book.
    -Traffic history graphs, not really important to me but neat nonetheless.
    -Logging, very similar to Visnetic, again.
    -SPI
    -Can start as an application or a service
    -Multiple levels of security
    -Separate rule sets for each interface

What I dislike:
    -Interface is displayed in MMC, when open it uses extra cpu & mem (I know the interface is not open all the time so this shouldn't be a big deal, I'm just being picky)
    -Can't view individual packet headers from the log
    -Can't create rules from the log
    -An integrated Whois would be nice

This FW seems like an easy-to-use version of Visnetic/8signs. It's equipped with 3 levels of stealth security which I assume are pre-configured rule sets for typical use. High security is also available to deny all traffic that does not have an associated rule.
    I think this fw has good potential but I don't think it will win over those who know and use packet filters like CHX-I or Visnetic (I know I'm sticking with Visnetic). I did not test against any real attacks these are only my thoughts about it's usability.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think there's really much need for another VisNetic/8Signs clone. There's already those two as well as CHX-I, all 3 of which are excellent. Now if it also had some app control then I'd take a look... :)

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Kerodo,

Did you check out Winsonar? Excellent port monitor and app control for free.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nope, not yet. Can you describe it a little? Would it provide app control if you're running something like CHX-I, which doesn't have app control? By app control, do you mean it can prevent or allow apps access to the internet?

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Winsonar would not only provide you with app control, it is like a process guard and also a registry scanner, has the ability to go on auto blocking mode when you make a connection. On its first install, it would scan all your ports to make a list and then subsequently monitor them as well.

Check it out at http://digilander.libero.it/zancart

Tell me how you find it?

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, I'll take a look soon... Right now I'm still messing with Look N Stop and don't want any conflicts... I'll try it later with CHX-I...

15. contender

contender Guest

New version out. Has anyone here tried it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.