Neo's SafeKeys v3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by agentG, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Hi all,

I'm the author of Neo's SafeKeys. I know that some people on this forum use SafeKeys from time to time.

I wanted to let Wilders' members know that I'm about to release the next version of this anti-keylogger, anti-malware tool - and I thought that you might like to have a play with the v3 beta, before I release the final version.

New features include:
    • 100% Keylogger protection - the keyboard not used in the creation or transfer of your passwords...ever.
    • Best possible Screenlogger protection. NSK 2008 had partial screenlogger protection, but NSK v3 has brilliant (possibly unbreakable) protection against screenloggers (I don't know how it could be circumvented).
    • Injection Mode. With this, you can use NSK v3 with programs that do not usually accept drag-drop - this means that you can now be protected when entering master passwords for KeePass and Roboform, and when using Opera, Excel and even World of Warcraft.
    • Transparency and Auto-hiding when dragging dropping passwords make NSK v3 a breeze to use.
    • Adjustable hover entry delay - adjust how long you need to hover over a key, before it registers as a 'keypress'; from 0.5 secs to 2.5 secs.
    • ...and NSK v3 remembers your settings from the last time you ran it.

The reason that I'm letting you know is so I can make Neo's SafeKeys the best security on-screen keyboard out there.
    I'd appreciate any feedback on the effectiveness of the new screenlogger protection feature, and on the tool in general.

It's a free product, and will always be free.

The download and info page is here:
    http://www.aplin.com.au/neos-safekeys-v3

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Nice to see you back here, and with good news :thumb:

Any idea if there might be conflicts with Zemana, SpyShelter, Trusteer Rapport, or Prevx ?

TIA

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thanks for continued development. Hope there are plenty beta testers to help you iron out any bugs or incompatibilities with other software

4. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Hey CloneRanger. Though I'm FAR from an expert on any of these, I believe that NSK v3 will actually augment the security provided by these tools, and shouldn't cause any conflicts.

I don't actually use these tools myself, but based on my knowledge, here are my thoughts:

Zemana: protects from malware - particularly good on the SSL portion. NSK should work fine with Zemana, as it allows for safe entry of data to the browser...then it lets Zemana and your browser do their thing.
    SpyShelter: malware detector. NSK should work fine...unless SpyShelter gets upset with NSK hooking and trapping the print screen key. (NSK discards all print screen key presses.)
    Trusteer Rapport: "locks down your browser once you connect to a sensitive website such as your bank". NSK should work fine because it uses standard ways to transfer data to the web browser - though there may be problems if Trusteer locks down dragging and dropping...and I don't see any security benefit in it doing so. If NSK 2008 works with Trusteer Rapport, then NSK v3 will.
    Prevx: malware scanner. NSK should work fine...unless it gets upset with NSK hooking and trapping the print screen key. (NSK discards all print screen key presses.)

I'm interested to see how people find NSK v3 in their own security setup.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Thanks for your efforts agentG.
    Also wanted to know if it might conflict with sandboxIE (if safekeys is run sandboxed).

6. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Not that I've found. I use Sandboxie when I test Neo's SafeKeys against keyloggers.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

Many thanks for this confirmation (and fast response) :thumb: :thumb:

8. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'll be testing this tonight.

One question:
    Does NSK V3 connects to the internet?

9. agentG

agentG Registered Member

No. Not at all.

The closest thing to that, is that it will get your default browser to open the SafeKeys v3 page if you press F1. :D

10. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

Lol! I thought NSKv3 was something like Prevx SafeOnline. :ouch:
    it's a good on-screen keyboard though :-* :thumb:

11. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

Excellent security application. Thanks for sharing!

12. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Working nicely here, doesn't feel like a beta. Tested on a couple of game logins which uses xigncode and xtrap. Works with a sandboxed Opera as well. :thumb: :thumb:

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Thanks as well, will test when the time permits. ;)

14. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Hi all. Thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated.
    :)

15. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

I will test it tomorrow night for you. I'm using Prevx with Safe Online and will see if there's any conflict (as both protect against screen capture). I will report what I find here.

LOL. Had a quick play and didn't think the screen protection worked. But then realised I had downloaded version 2. :D . Will try again!

I like the way this is portable too.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  16. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Thanks AgentG!

17. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm finding that Malware Defender prompts for low level keyboard access when the Injection Mode is used. Is this normal?

Thanks for creating and sharing a very useful program!

18. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Derelict_NY, I'm not sure why Malware Defender has used those words. I can assure you that no keyboard modes or tools are used in injection mode. You are protected against kernel, hook and polling loggers that monitor the keyboard.

NSKv3's injection mode uses a low level Windows access tool that can also be used for low level keyboard access. However, NSKv3 doesn't use any keyboard commands, so keyloggers shouldn't find it.

My guess is that Malware Defender is just being uber thorough.

That said, my suggestion for those who are really security conscious is this - from the "How Neo’s SafeKeys v3 Works" webpage:
    http://www.aplin.com.au/neos-safekeys-v3/how-neos-safekeys-v3-works

19. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

I have tested it now.

There are a couple of issues with the sliders in the GUI not working as they should. For example transparency slider starts on left but the right-most position is fully visible!

There are no problems with PrevX SafeOnline I can see. SafeKeys was able to block the print screen key.

However, I found that Zemana's ScreenLogger.exe test logger was able to read the screen when SafeKeys was running (even with m other security Apps disabled). You might want to look at this. The link for the Zemana app is here:

Zemana Simulation Test Programs

Otherwise, its a great little application and I can see me using it for protection against keyloggers on my other PC (where I don't have Prevx).

20. agentG

agentG Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

pling_man, thanks for the feedback regarding Zemana. You're right - Zemana's screen logging technique can take pictures of SafeKeys.

Since your post I've done a lot more testing and research to find out exactly how it does this; have found the cause, but so far no workaround.
    I have noted that there isn't 100% screen logger protection on the SafeKeys pages, and will work on a way to resolve for future versions.

I have also fixed some minor usability bugs from the beta version, and have released it here: http://www.aplin.com.au/neos-safekeys-v3.

Now I just need to update the website - which is still based on the previous version of SafeKeys!

21. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Thanks for the update. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.