Neoava Guard HIPS update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CloneRanger, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

New look website with promising and updated info on this unique program

http://neoava.blogspot.com/

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Thanks fvor the news, i am using v1 Beta since quiet a time. Looking forward to the new Beta.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yup can´t wait for the new release, together with SSM this tool will (probably) form my main defense. I really can´t believe that one guy can create such an awesome tool, reminds me of Sandboxie and DefenseWall which are "one guy projects" also. :)

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Two HIPS? Hmmm...

5. Rasheed187

Believe it or not but they actually run fine together, there don´t seem to be any conflicts. Of course I know you should always test these HIPS tools before installing them, because they might screw up your system. ;)

6. wings

wings Registered Member

Dude, that's not the point Tommy tries to make. What Tommy is trying to say is: why use two HIPS?

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I know this isnt directed to me, but I thought I might add my view on the matter anyway.
    I have had two HIPS (Tiny Personal Firewall and Ghost Security Suite) for a while because I could not decide which one to choose, and it was also for comparing these two to see if the other was better than the other (for my needs) I thought both of them are really good programs, but after a while it felt just silly to handle two popups for everything :) so I had to choose.
    GSS is my choice because it did almost everything that TPF did and more (and much easier to handle). And TPF is abandonware. Now after I found a new firewall that I really like and fits my needs like a hand in a glove I decided to drop TPF into oblivion.

As for the topic; thanks for the info on the new(?) HIPS. It never hurts to keep eyes open for newcomers in this field. Will look into it. Cheers.

8. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Correct me when i am wrong, but Tiny FW is not a true HIPS but a FW, or does it watch Low level access, internal com acess, Hooks, registry acess, etc? Have to say i never used Tiny.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why Not. Even assuming the software is perfect, which none ever is, there is still the human error issue. On several occasions, I've clicked allow on something, and then wanted to think about it. Can be nice to have a second chance. Plus they all have unique strenghts and weakness's. So if your machine can handle them, why not.

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nope u are correct. tiny is a firewall. also gss would not be a (complete) replacement for tiny cause u would still need control of inbound packets. but i guess thats what ghostwall is for.

11. Kenjin

Kenjin Registered Member

You are both wrong. Tiny = FW + application sandbox. A sandbox is one of the many flavours of HIPS.

12. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

13. Rasheed187

I use it as a "backup HIPS" and besides Neoava covers certain things that SSM does not. ;)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think a time will come when I might see people using at a time two AVs( have been discussed so often), two HIPs, two AS, and may be two firewall( why not if in future there are firewalls that don,t conflict).No offence for anyone but two HIPS of very similar type in my opinion are not appealing.
    None of software is 100%, it is true but I can sure guess that even Two or three HIPS can,t be 100%.

15. Rasheed187

Looks like very exciting stuff is coming up according to the blog, too bad that the new version will be released in March, but I´m sure it will be cool. ;)

Gotta love this guy! He´s doesn´t care about our computer security and has a whole lot of confidence. :D

http://neoava.blogspot.com/

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Why not run 3 HIPS like i am. Since installing the newest Comodo firewall, that also doubles in duty by having an application firewall to boot. So i guess that makes 3, System Safety Monitor, Cyberhawk, and Comodo FPro.

So far they all run fine without issue. Let those m'wares/viruses try and climb thru all that running together. Sure doesn't slow anything down so far as performance or opening/running normal apps.

17. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

For some reason my sytem never played well with neoava maybe its my intel hyperthread cpu, dont know always got BSODs' and thats even with a clean reformated install of XPproSP2.

Currently got whats in my signature on a clean install of XPproSP2 and running great so far no conflicts. :) If my set up ever flags something out of the ordinary clean install of C: 45 seconds and I'm back in action.

18. WSFuser

im not a big fan of classical HIPS, but ill be keeping my eye on this one. the first beta was rather interesting and the third beta looks promising.

19. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

News, Friday, January 19, 2007 von Neoava Guard Blog

http://neoava.blogspot.com/2007/01/news.html
    Seams promissing :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2007
  20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Keep an extra eye out for these updated HIPS. Since these developers have grown in numbers so is their experience and how much better they can improve upon they're previous works/releases.

Something tells me from the looks of things lately that this year of 2007 is going to offer much more advanced innovations in these programs then before and they are making a serious run at becoming the King's of PC protection out there.

It's really comforting on our end to see these HIPS developers finally competing for top attention by sharpening up their apps with quickness. finesse, and dependability without issue.

Rock N' Roll Security World..................Paul Wilder's Forums #1 On The Planet & Universe :thumb:

21. Rasheed187

@ yankinNcrankin

Very strange, is it perhaps a conflict with another tool? On my system it has always run perfectly stable.

@ WSFuser

Why are you no fan? Too many alerts I guess? The thing is, I think that you only get to see a lot of alerts when "process execution monitoring" is enabled (during an install), of course this exact same feature might save your ass against zero day "drive by" attacks.

Also, a registry monitor (like the one in SSM or KAV) can popup a lot of alerts. But that´s why Neoava Guard is so cool, you can configure it in a way that it will only alert you about certain things. Seriously, normally I do not get to see that many alerts, of course you have to make rules first.

22. WSFuser

partially, but simply i cannot always tell good files from bad. its easier to have KAV do that for me.

23. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

When new version will come?

25. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.