Negatives of Host File?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Someone, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

What are the negatives of using something like the MVPS hostfile?

Thanks

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You will find some opinions in this recent poll thread, Do you use HOSTS file?, wherein the majority of respondents say they don't use hosts files. :)

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for me when i use it it slow my browser litle bit plus it blocks some legit websites too:) so i stoped using any host file again

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

IMO, when used with a good HOSTS file manager (like HostsXpert), there are none. If anything is blocked, and it's safe, I whitelist it. From then on, I can reapply my whitelist to an future HOSTS file changes/updates.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Thanks for the link. But most of the reasons seem to be related to the fact that most people at Wilders are fairly advanced users.

So there's nothing wrong with recommending MVPS host file for average users?

6. arran

arran Registered Member

I stopped using MVPS hostfile long time ago.

Because I like to have 100 percent of the internet available and surf any where and not be restricted by some Host File Black List.

A lot of us here in these forums now have good enough security to prevent Malware Infection.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Large hosts files can slow down DNS resolution when the DNS client service is running. If that service is disabled, large hosts files are not a problem.
    The more typical user who isn't familiar with how a hosts file works or why sites get added to a hosts file might not understand why they can't access certain sites.

IMO, the worst problem I see would be the user getting a false sense of security. Hosts files are not effective protection against malicious code, but a page title like
    Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File
    could mislead the average user into thinking that they are effective.

While hosts files aren't effective against malicious sites, they do work well when used as "junk blocker", with "junk" being the common and/or more annoying ad servers, google-analytics, google-ads, etc. Their ad blocking is not as effective as the AdBlock extension for FireFox, but content blocked by a hosts file is blocked for all web software. A hosts file can function as a parental control tool to a limited degree by preventing access to specific sites. Hosts files are good for storing/resolving the IPs of important sites without using a DNS server, which is what they were originally intended to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.