Need wireless n router

Discussion in 'hardware' started by snowbound, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hello folks :)

I will soon be moving into a new apartment and will be needing a wireless connection to the landlord's comp who lives on the main floor of the house. I will be purchasing a new system also soon(most likely an Imac). Anyway, i know virtually nothing about routers(never used one). I have done some research on it but it is dizzying how much info is out there on this subject.

I just want something very reliable, long range and price is not a factor. Keep in mind if you's get too technical you'll lose me but go ahead for the benefits of others interested too. :D

snowbound

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Thanks much for the links. I'll check them out. As i'm not knowledgeable on the subject of routers could someone explain in layman’s terms the "draft compliancy" issue with the N routers please?

snowbound

5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Draft N was experimental
    Standard N is more the norm now..

Well it's becoming so. I would recommend you keep away from Draft N Wireless Routers. The one everyone is so crazy about has last reported overheating issues if use extreme. But beside that I am not a fan of Netgear. Use Dlink but now Belkin N+.

6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Both those routers appear to be draft?

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Wifi N specifications became final this September. So I don't think there are many choices for full N devices yet.

I also believe that for many of the latest draft n models there will be a firmware upgrade that will make them full n devices although not certified. Future versions of the same devices will be full n and certified.

8. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

9. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Belkin N+ V3 Standard
    WNDR3700 Standard

Everyone who has purchased Draft N going to be stuck with it and will have to purchased Standard N to replace it. If you look at membership clubs selling Draft N wireless router dirt cheap, online sites are doing it as well. Make sure you see if reads Draft N.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.