Need suggestions on spyware - malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kevincc4, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevincc4

kevincc4 Registered Member

what is a good antispywsre, malware, antitrojan software ?

It doesn't have to be free.

Any opinions on Spyware Doctor or Super Antispyware ?

I am using Nod32 & Windows firewall.

Thanks

2. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

You can use malwarebytes antimalware very good antispyware lightweight and effective, the free version only detects and clean, while u can monitor your system in realtime through its paid version
    www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Spyware Doctor = bad idea

SAS ? I have never used it. The paid version is probably not worth the money.

If you have a good AV (or better, good security suite) you should be fine. No need for an additional antispyware. Good AVs/suites are usually better in combating spyware than antispyware applications.
    See: www.av-comparatives.org

Combined with common sense, which is unfortunately not so common.

Common sense: safe browser (configured safely), caution and suspicion about what you see on the internet, not clicking on ads, attachments in emails, updating software, checking if a program is safe before you install it etc.

I'm not sure how good NOD32 is.

If you want to spend money, I recommend getting a good imaging setup. For example, an external harddisk and paid or free software to create images.

4. kevincc4

kevincc4 Registered Member

I couldn't understand your last part about " getting a good imaging setup ".

Can you Please explain ?

Thanks

5. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

There are many good security setups out there. I also use NOD32 but I rely heavily on Sandboxie (tightened up some from the default installation) for AntiMalware. Sandboxie has a very good reputation for "trapping" and deleting malware.

I also do periodic manual scans with freeware AntiMalware software (SuperAntiSpyware Free, A-Squared Free, AVIRA Rescue CD, etc.).

I consider my first line of AntiMalware Defense software to be periodic Imaging of the Windows System Partition. If I get infected and feel concerned that I may not be "clean" after scanning, I can easily restore from a saved System Partition Image that I feel confident is not infected.

I thought that I would like HIPS (Hosts Intrusion Prevention System) type AntiMalware software but I found them to sometimes be confusing or annoying because of the frequency of popups.

I also use a couple of LinkScanners so that I can have some level of confidence before clicking on a link.

6. prairie dog

prairie dog Registered Member

I personally like SAS and MBAM

7. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Drive imaging is the best defense IMO. With programs like Acronis, Paragon, Macrium Reflect, etc.. you can copy an image of your os and store it on another drive or partition. That way if your pc gets hosed or for any other reason, you can restore it from an image and it will be just like it was when you saved the image. Not to be confused with system restore.

As far as antispyware goes, I would suggest what prarie dog said and just use on demand scanners such as SAS or Malwarbytes. You don't want any additional realtime standalone antispyware products installed IMO. Unless of course you like to use IE, well then that may be different.:D Like Fly said, use a safe browser(Firefox, Opera) and common sense. Again like Fly said, if you want to spend money get an imaging program. Allthough there are a few free ones available. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Perhaps Fly meant something along these lines, and I'd tend to agree if you haven't covered this component and it's a matter of spending some cash for overall protection. Complete discussion thread is here

Blue

9. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

The upcoming Microsoft Security Essentials with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8, all behind an reputable Firewall Router.

HKEY1952

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I had heard so many good things about A-squared recently (high detection/many fewer false positives) that I decided to give their product another shot. Installed the program and scanned overnight. This morning I see that A2 is hung at 87% of the scan and the A2 service running at 130k. Detections it has found include Turbotax 2007, a harmless dictionary dll from 2007 and the malwarebytes installer. Seriously, false positive alerts from 2007 still hanging around? And the Malwarebytes installer? Geesh.

11. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Hi Kevin.

Like you, I have Nod32 and Windows Firewall. I supplement that with SuperAntiSpyware (free version) and Sandboxie. This combination works very well together.

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Sandboxie for all browsing/browsers = Malware & spyware prevention.

Superantispyware has a really good system/browser repair tool feature that is somewhat hidden away. Clicking preferences opens application options, clicking the Repairs section you'll find a bunch of really decent fixes to right some of the wrongs malware can do to system.

• Enable Start Run Menu
    • Enable Syatem File Checker
    • Enable System Tray
    • Enable Task Manager
    • Enable Windows Control Panel
    • Enable Windows Explorer Folder Options
    • Home Page Reset
    • Internet Zone Security Reset
    • Local Page Reset
    • Remove Desktop Screensaver
    • Remove Explorer Policy Restrictions
    • Remove Internet Explorer Policy Restrictions
    • Remove Winoldapp Policy Restrictions
    • Remove/Reset Windows Desktop Background Wallpaper
    • Repair Broken Network Connection (winsock lsp chain)
    • Repair Broken Safeboot Key
    • Repair Broken Windows System Restore Service
    • Reset Desktop Components
    • Reset Desktop Policies
    • Reset URL Prefixes
    • Reset Web Settings
    • Reset Windows Clock Display
    • Reset Winlogon Shell
    • Reset Zonemap Settings
    • User Agent Post Platform request
    • User Agent Reset

I think it would be better/helpful for these tools to be a main feature on the opening GUI. Some of these tools are really good at resetting the damage done by malware - I've used the Enable Task Manager tool a few times for various malware cleanup.

13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Yes, and I'd like to emphasize the difference between backups and images.

Backups are intended to secure data, imaging software to secure the operating system and all programs and data on the system.

Many people backup their data, but few use imaging software.

Aside from the issue of harddisk failure, if your system gets infected or if the OS becomes corrupted it is VERY convenient if you have a recent known clean image. I personally use Acronis, but an older version that isn't bloated. Assuming you store your images on an external harddisk (disconnect it when not used) and are able to boot your computer (check BIOS) from CD (first option), you can just boot from your bootable CD and restore the image from your external harddisk. Quick, easy and safe.

If you get infected you may never know if you have removed the infection. Just restore a known clean image, and you have peace of mind.
    Same goes for a corrupted OS.

There are many imaging options, hardware and software.

14. alinb

alinb Registered Member

Nod 32 is very good; it's like Bitdefender 2010, I hardly know it's there but poping up with trojan alerts when it needs to!!:D

15. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

If you have a Maxtor or Seagate HDD you can use Maxtor MaxblaST, which is free. It is the same as Acronis True Image. If you just connect a Maxtor or Seagate drive via USB before you start MaxBlast, it will be happy.
    I prefer to create a clone of my system disk, rather than create a backup image. That way I can just swap drives if anything goes wrong. Maxblast is the best program I've found for this purpose, and it's free.

16. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

You also need a good software firewall. There are too many choices involved. You can find out all you need to know in these forums.

17. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

adaware free has a limited resident scanner, but i would go with a behaviour based antimalware, it blocks things for what they do, rather than because they have a signature, for example if something starts copying your keystrokes it will alert suspicious activity.
    threatfire is a free behaviour blocker or you could try prevx which is paid.

18. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Adaware Paid is better than Free.Free version is useless.I think Malwarebyte is also very good,but on my platform,it always crashed.

Prevx is a good choice.

19. Someone

Someone Registered Member

You can also check out these free security software reviews.

20. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

Good website.Good reviews.Thank you.

21. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Along with the excellent suggestions of creating a disk image and sandboxing Hitman Pro is a great on-demand,multi-engined scanner.

22. Andrew Diaz

Andrew Diaz Registered Member

Hi kevincc4,

This is Andrew Diaz from Norton Outreach.

If you have not checked out the Norton family of security products right now might be a good time. We recently released new versions of Norton Internet Security 2010, Norton AntiVirus 2010 and Norton 360 3.0.

If you are interested in looking into our new product line, here is a link to a PC Magazine review of Norton Internet Security 2010 and PC Magazine review of Norton 360 3.0. One of the new Norton 2010 products may be the right fit for you if you are looking for a fast all around security solution that minimizes your system’s resources.

Please find below links to free 30 day trials for Norton Internet Security 2010 and Norton 30 3.0:

Free 30 day trial for Norton Internet Security 2010

Free 30 day trial for Norton 360 3.0

Please let me know if you have any questions about our latest products. Best of luck to everyone in finding the right antivirus product!

Andrew Diaz
    Norton Outreach
    Symantec Corporation
    nortonoutreach.com

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Do those products require entering a valid credit card number, with the obligation to 'opt out' at the end of the trial if one doesn't want to pay ? :cautious:

That issue was raised quite recently on Wilders. I don't remember the specific products, though.

24. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

25. Andrew Diaz

Andrew Diaz Registered Member

Hi Fly,

You do need to create an account with a valid Credit Card. The account will auto renew and charge you Credit Card once the trial period is over. So if you do not want to continue using the product be sure to opt out before your trial period ends. There is a link to opt out of your trial within the opt out text, just above the information fields in the account set up page.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.