Need Some recommendations for a VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lucygrl, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

:) but seriously mirimir Lets see some guides :) I know before we were talking about which was most trustworthy and such and which ones were as far as we knew didn't log and which were OK with P2P but has anyone done a break down of cost and performance with policy?

I actually would be interested in one that is good for P2P and one that is good for privacy stuff. I think it would be wiser to have them separated. Also is goign throw multiply VPNs necessary and is a VM really need? I honestly don't understand why. Is the browser script/java stuff and MAC address that dangerous and easy to obtain?

I always just run TOR stand alone but i guess from you guys thats a real dumb thing so i am getting a little...well worried.

2. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

In the interst of not contributing to the further off topic slide of the thread (as you and JRViejo suggest), I won't respond, other than to say that I think a lot of perfectly reasonable people (who do not need to swear to express themselves) would draw those lines in completely different places. It's hard for me to see a point in your analysis that I agree with or think is historically accurate or really even reflects a mode of analysis of history that any serious historian would recognize.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For recommending particular VPNs, what I can personally do is name ones that have provided good service, and that I've come to trust. That's really all that any of us can do, isn't it? But we do have a substantial community here, especially counting all those lurkers ;) So I think that a wiki approach would be best, to organize everyone's feedback. I tried doing a survey, but it's too much work to get results and update a summary table.

But would Wilders add the necessary wiki plug-in? How do we go about asking? Do we start a "please add the wiki plug-in and a VPN-rating wiki" thread?

That's a good idea.

Whether all that's necessary depends on how much you care, and how trusting you are. I'm not paranoid enough to do everything through Tor, but I do use nested/chained VPNs. If you can put up with the limitations, using Tor is probably enough.

Lots of people do that. But I'd rather hide behind a VPN, or three.

4. HopelesslyFaithful

HopelesslyFaithful Registered Member

how long would it take a newb (me) to set up 2-3 VPNs? Also what would the latency be...1000-2000ms? For downloading meh but for anything else that is ridiculous. I could stand tor plus a VPN...tor seems fairly fast when i am not on my AT&T DSL...AT&T does something to TOR. Comcast and sprint LTE it runs 2-5 times faster. Hell sometimes my 3720QM at 3.8GHz can eat crap with opening so many pages....TOR can even freeze while my CPU catches up but that is when i am pulling 300-600KBps. I control click a lot of stuff ^^

Also the one other thing i forgot to ask....how is PIA (which i have) trust worthy? They use some super ass old encryption. Can't someone just save your transfered data and decrypt it? The encryption is super weak from what i have read. Hamachi at least uses like AES 128 or 256. They use something (i forget) that is a complete joke.

BTW. I would love to work with everyone to create 2 separate global guides on how to be a ghost and secure on PC and cell phone....The cell phone is a huge issue i have no idea how to solve or where to gain the knowledge. I would love for myself and for everyone else to great a decent one stop shop for the average joe. I tried getting Notebookreview to do that....but i got trolled to high hell. They said don't even bother and it is impossible but as i have just read 2-3 pages of threads...it seems very reasonable for someone with a half of brain....,which i think i qualify i with *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Well i made a poll to get some attention. Can someone post the details of whatever that wiki thing was?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=356711

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  5. mirimir

It would probably take a day or two of focused work. Have you read my guides? It takes me about 20 minutes to create and configure a pfSense VM as a VPN client, if all goes well. It's sometimes taken more like an hour or two, if it's a new service and I need to futz with it.

I'm working now via three nested VPNs, one of them being two-hop. Speedtest reports 3.3 Mbps down and 1.8 Mbps up, with 300 msec latency. While that's a lot slower than my ISP link, it's good enough. If I back off to two nested VPNs, I get three times that, with less than 150 msec latency.

PIA uses BF-CBC (128 bit). That's probably not as strong as even AES 128, let alone AES 256. But AES puts more load on the server, which means that it can't handle as many clients. That may partly explain why PIA costs so much less, and is still quite fast.

There's also the issue that PIA doesn't provide client.crt and client.key, and relies only on username and password for client authentication. It's my current understanding that this doesn't affect user security. Using client certificates just protects VPN servers better from DDoS attacks. Also, I get that providing unique client-specific certificates reduces user anonymity, because connections are in effect signed. Doing that does, on the other hand, allow VPN providers to easily ban specific users.

Cool :)

Have you read the Guardian ROM thread?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=348416

6. mirimir

VaultWiki is an add-on for vBulletin <https://www.vaultwiki.org>.

It doesn't cost very much. But I don't know how much it complicates site administration, or what it's impact on site security might be.

Edit: Having taken a more careful look at VaultWiki, it might be total overkill for this idea.

We're just talking one page. But I suppose that each VPN could have a page, and be linked from a summary page.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.