Need some Pro Advice

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by sbbb24, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

Hello All

I've been reading these forums recently and have learned quite a bit about the computer protection scene. I would love if I could get some critiques and comments on my current set up. Please also take into account that I have Vista 64bit, and I do not have the money to play around with, or to afford large quantities of security software which I see some people have.

Thanks for the advice in advance:

Active
    - Avira AntiVir Personal Free
    - Comodo Firewall on firewall security configuration and firewall and defense+ on safe and clean (I originally had it set to proactive security but the popups were driving me mad so I decided to tone downt he security in favor of not pulling my hair out)
    - Comodo BOClean
    - Firefox 3 with adblock and Noscript

On-Demand
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    SUPERAntiSpyware Free
    ASquared Free
    Ad-Aware
    Autoruns
    CCleaner
    SecuniaPSI

2. evilscribble

evilscribble Registered Member

You're fine. And you don't need proactive security on unless you want to pass leaktests.

3. 3xist

3xist Guest

You are not vulnerable with the default Configuration in CIS, Proactive Security is there for people who want full power of Defense+, Including my self. Eased of in placed of Defense+ in CIS due to the AV, etc.

You're current setup is fine. :)

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Looking good IMO.

Just for the times you are feeling frisky :D though when surfing maybe throw in Sandboxie. While FF with No-Script should have you covered it never hurts to add an on-demand layer that has no system impact when not used and little or none when in use.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sbbb24,

When using Vista64, why not make it easy for yourself

1. Run LUA (limmited user rights) with UAC on. You can install Norton's free UAC tool which remembers your choices. When running Limited User you are safe for most threats. http://www.nortonlabs.com/inthelab/uac.php

2. Windows Defender is a nice AS add-on with additional Intrusion Detection. Given the fact that you use the safer 64 bits version and WD is also 64 bit application, it is a low resource (so skip BOclean)

3. You could choose to remover Comodo and install Vista FireWal control (together with Vista's own firewall, it is a decent FW), see http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

4. Vista runs IE7 in protected mode, meaning the lowest possible rights. This is very safe, despite all the Microsoft Bashing. When doing dodgy browsing use the 64 bits version of IE7 with security settings to high (so you have 32 bits version for normal and 64 when you explore the dark side of the web).

5. Set Avira's Heuristics for scans to low or medium and for online guard to high.

Would be enough and much easier to use.

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Unfortunately sandboxie doesn't support vista 64 :(.

But to the OP you should be fine using that setup combined with common sense. I use far less than that and so far i've managed to stay out of trouble.

7. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

ooops.....missed the 64 bit part. :oops: :blink:

8. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have removed BOclean, changed Avira's settings, and started playing around with Norton's UAC tool.

Are there any other program recommendations for on demand or active?

Thanks

9. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

I think MBAM is sufficient.
    Remove SAS, A-squared and Ad-Aware.

Some PRO

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Def dont remove SAS, just tested it on an infected system - 34 samples, MBAM detected 9 SAS detected 30 but ive also seen it the other way around on some other machines so both are equal but simply detect different things. SAS = DEF Pro Trojan killer!

11. Creer

Creer Registered Member

so... better have SAS or MBAM running in realtime?

12. sbbb24

sbbb24 Registered Member

Would anyone recommend running comodo memory firewall, or does this do exactly the same thing that the comodo firewall on comodo firewall security mode does?

13. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Either would be good.

14. farmerlee

If your cpu supports hardware DEP then you can simply enable that instead of installing CMF. If you have a fairly recent processor then it should support it. Sometimes its disabled in the BIOS and almost always disabled by default in windows.

15. 3xist

3xist Guest

Comodo Memory Firewall will be integrated into Comodo Internet Security hopefully by the end of this years release. Memory Firewall is now fully developed, just integration work needs to be done and it's more powerful then your average DEP.

16. entropism

entropism Registered Member

MBAM *pro* in realtime is worthless on Vista x64, everything that separates it from the free version isn't x64 compatible. SAS pro, however, works wonderfully.

What I have on my x64 system:

Avira Free
    SAS Pro ($20 lifetime license)
    Comodo IS with AV disabled (D+ and Firewall on "optimum" settings)
    WinPatrol Free
    Keyscrambler Free
    MBAM free (for on demand)
    Hardware SPI/NAT router (free from my ISP)

To be quite honest, this is going to protect you from damn near everything a normal person would come in contact with, and then some. If you're not happy with Avira (or don't want to disable the daily ads), I'd also have NO problem running Avast and feeling completely secure.

17. farmerlee

On my vista ultimate 64-bit system all i use at the moment is the basic vista security, a custom SRP, anvir task manager and a few sysinternals tools. Also have antivir free for on demand scans when needed. Anything i consider risky is done inside a virtual machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.