Need some info

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by duffyfs, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffyfs

duffyfs Registered Member

I'm in the process of rebuilding a clients system after a motherboard went south. I've reloaded XP up to SP3 and it's time to install an AV app. She had AVG 7.5 Free before, but it will be cut offed the end of August and from what I've gathered the 8.0 version is a resource hog. I've talked her into installing NOD32 as I run it on 10 systems (2.7) including my personal boxes. Before doing anything I've been reading through this forum and the one for 3.0. What is the current situation with the problems members were having with updating defs and cpu utilization? My point here is this laptop belongs to a senior and is used to write her poetry, email, and internet and I want to set it up and not have it coming back for support because of the problems I see here. Thanks

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It seems many of the people who had trouble with downloading signature updates did was because their copies of the software were set to download them from non-ESET sources. By default, the programs are configured to download their signature updates from ESET's servers. The ability to add or change the list of update servers is intended for use by administrators who may wish to configure the software to download their updates from an internal server on their network, but it is not an option a home user would normally change.

Many of the people who have reported problems with 100% CPU utilization have made changes to the default settings in the software. The ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 engine has some new, more granular controls for real-time scanning which increases the amount of protection provided by the software, however, enabling them does so at the possible expense of higher CPU utilization, which is why they are optional settings and not turned on by default. If someone were to turn those functions on, it is possible they would see higher utilization when the software scanned large files and/or files compressed with runtime packers after they were downloading them.

From the usage scenario given for your customer, it does not sound like either of these will be a factor, as the software would be installed with the default settings sans tweaking.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you buy a license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0, you can still download and use NOD32 v2.70 with your license credentials, so if there is an issue with your client's system and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0, you can install the previous version. You could also install ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0 on one of your systems, if you like, as all NOD32 v2.70 licenses allow the user to download ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.