Need some help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Think, May 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Think

Think Registered Member

Hi,

Let me explain my situaltion:

My cousin has and old laptop which as some chinese software (some language thing) which works with XP. I dunno what it is exactualy. He recently bought a new laptop and wants to old laptop info and software on his new one.

I have created an image file using Acronis True Image 8. But i have not yet loaded it on his laptop yet.

My question is:

If i load the image (not clone) to his new laptop will it work and look the same as it did in the old laptop? The old laptop is only about 2-3 yr old.

any help would be greatful.

Thanks

Think

2. mikehd

mikehd Registered Member

This sounds like a very bad idea.

Images made on different machines rarely are transferable.

You can't use Acronis to transfer an installed app only.

Clone=image here.

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hi Think, as MikeHD said: When transfering an image from one computer to another, all settings, drivers etc. are transfered. And that is a recipe for big troubles.
    I would not recommend to transfere the image.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

5. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Sounds like a good advice.

I agree that transfering a running system from an old system with set of disk controllers, graphics adapters, sound system, mouse, keyboard, screen, network interface, etc, etc, to a new system with a completely different setup, is difficult to do.

If you can not / will not use SysPrep, I would at least boot the old laptop in Windows Safe Mode, and uninstall any screen and disk drivers. Shut-down, boot the Acronis Rescue CD, and create the image.

After you have restored the image to the new computer, do NOT boot into normal mode. Boot into Safe Mode, and install drivers for the disk and screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.