Need some help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by keltics, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keltics

keltics Registered Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Not sure if anyone can help me, I'm using Windows 98 and IE6.0, I use AVG for anti-virus (and just ran Trend Micro's online scan, all clean), and weekly run SpywareBlaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware SE and just today removed Zone Alarm using instructions from Zone Labs (found the link on this forum). Here's the problem: Whenever I close Internet Explorer then try to open another program like My Documents, it take 3 or 4 minutes for that program to open, also when I clicked on Help>About Internet Explorer ( to see what version ) the same thing happens, the machine freezes up for 3 minutes. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. Any ideas?
  2. dough

dough Registered Member

Mar 15, 2005
    General housekeeping issues?

Remove 'junk' files.
    Scan Disk (select automatically fix problems)
    Disable unnecessary programs running in start-up (use msconfig)
    Close unnecessary running processes in task manager (ctrl-alt-del)
    Run spyware scan/remove frequently and after Internet sessions. (remove identified items)
    Refresh your system by re-booting (I know it's a hassle, but I use '98 myself and recognize that the longer my system is up and the more things I've been doing, the slower my system gets. Win '98 is like that.

I may be way off base here on your problem and probably have "under-shot" what you are getting at, since you probably do all of the above.

There are IE repair tools available if IE is 'hanging'.
    Beyond that, more info about your system would be useful in understanding what you are experiencing.

A more experienced member here will probably be of more help.
    Best regards
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.