Need some help/suggestions...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Vilmalith, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The link you provide says:

This means that the shareware version won't allow the users to force applications; which on its turn means that the user needs to remember to sandbox the applications.

Secondly, it means that the shareware version will only allow one sandbox at the same time, which is what I wanted to say.

I guess I just mentioned one sandboxed application instead of one sandbox at the same time. Thanks for bringing this up. ;)

This should be

Despite the fact that I wouldn't run every app in the same sandbox, to be honest.

Sometimes, I like to keep certain things in one sandbox. This makes it impossible using one sandbox only.

With the shareware version, the only alternative would be to use one sandbox at the same time. With the paid version, the user can have as many sandboxes as he/she pleases running at the same time. Whatever the user needs to clean in one, won't affect the other, if the user wishes to keep contents inside the sandbox.

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

In my humble opinion, suggestions to use Sandboxie do not fit into the OP's requirement of "need of a security setup for non technical end users". I think that the concept of SBIE, along with the recovery process and some of the popups are beyond the scope of "non technical end users".

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes, this is an issue. I weigh it against an AV or other scanner though. If the user(s) can become infected with an up-to-date scanner (and it happens all the time) then what good is the scanner as thier primary protection?

If the user is paying a tech to fix it, well at some point you would think they would want to stop wasting money. If they expect thier own personal geek to fix it (that is you/me), that geek may not want to keep fixing it over and over. Again, at some point the geek must tell them they have to learn something.

So whether it is Sandboxie or another tool, even an AV, if the user won't take the time to learn at least some basic things, I don't see anything ever really solving thier problems.

However, if they want to stop having problems, and are willing to learn a little, many tools are now available to them. I personally think Sandboxie is the easiest because all you really need to do is get them to understand the directory structure and what files are and where they live, and why SBIE doesnt' put them where they thought it would. In my experience anyway, it is much easier to teach something they have seen but don't fully understand than to put some other software on and teach them how to use that, especially if they have to answer prompts, which IMO is the largest hurdle for those types of users because they don't know how to answer.

Sul.

4. Vilmalith

Vilmalith Registered Member

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. Going to give a couple of them a try and see what happens.

I have tried CIS on some of my more prolific trouble makers. Well it did do an amazing job, it also created more emails/txt messages/phone calls because of all the pops asking for allow/deny/sandbox....

My typical security setup for the non technical:
    Avast/Avira/Panda Cloud (depends on users hardware)
    Spyware Blaster
    Spybot S&D (mainly for immunization)
    Windows FW is on
    Windows is auto updated
    SEHOP

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And Enable DEP, easy as 1 2 3 :D

6. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Nothing wrong with this setup :thumb:

7. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

average users will need lots of aspirins to deal with SS popups.. Noob reminded me that the setup need to be for average users:eek: :eek:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or avast antivirus and keyscrambler;)

9. Kernelwars

ahh indeed:thumb: or just somehow get them to buy shadow defender:D and say bye bye to infection..

10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Or you could just buy any other System Virtualization software and lock it down :D

11. Kernelwars

indeed:)

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

maybe returnil system

13. Kernelwars

ah but i heard returnil slows down system:blink:

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yeap that's true

15. Kernelwars

IME shadow defender is very light..only wish the developer dont abandon this brilliant product

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

In my experience it does a bit, Deep Freeze is a good option too!
    Hahaha i need to stop talking nonsense he's not even asking for options :D

17. Kernelwars

yep indeed my good friend only wish i never heard the thing about a certain hacker always breaking through deep freezer..rofl:argh:

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If i remember correctly, to bypass DeepFreeze you have to know at least basic things about booting media and also know where to get those things :rolleyes: :ninja:

Don't blame me, i hated school computers, they all had DeepFreeze :ouch:

19. Kernelwars

:thumb:
    i agree :)

20. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

For web browser, I recommend that your users use Internet Explorer 8 or 9 in order to take advantage of SmartScreen, which should help cut down on the fake rubbish that your users have been encountering. For test results, see threads such as Study of effectiveness of malware reputation services used by 6 web browsers. Also, with Internet Explorer on Vista or later, if you haven't disabled UAC, then your users will be using IE's Protected Mode. Perhaps also use the Web of Trust extension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.