Need some assistance quick

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Stijnson, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I just booted my pc and upon opening my desktop the message 'AMON could not be loaded' appeared. Strangely enough starting the service manually did work. I rebooted the pc and this time NOD loaded correctly.
    The problem now however is that NOD indicaties that def file 2806 is installed but when I open nod32.000 it says 2799. Last Wednesday I had the issue of a double update of 2799.
    Latest modules indicate that there have been updates for the archive module on January 17th and the heuristics module on January 16th.

What should I do now? Is there an infection?
    The modules probably haven't been updated properly as well. Can someone please inform me what to do?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Why don't you reinstall over the top? If that doesn't work, uninstall, restart, delete the ESET folder in program files, and reinstall.

3. Stijnson

What happens if I reinstall over the top. Does it update/reinstall all definitions and modules then? Should I disable internet connection now?

4. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

If you reinstall, you will replace all the system files with new ones. Normally in the case you describe, something has caused one or more of the files to become corrupt. As soon as you reinstall Nod32, you will update to the latest definitions and any past module updates.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No need to disable your connection. You will have to restart after installing over the top and NOD should update.

6. Stijnson

How can these files have been corrupted? An infection?
    Or does this happen on occasion?

7. Stijnson

OK thanks. I'll do that in a few minutes and then report back here.

8. Stijnson

I just did on over the top reinstall and NOD update to 2806 correctly.
    One more question however: in the C:\Program Files\Eset\ folder I now have 2 Nod32.000 files, one dated a few minutes ago and an older one from last Wednesday. Can I safely delete the oldest file?

I also did a virus scan (NOD didn't find anything. I'm I at risk I wonder?) to be sure and to my surprise NOD found 10000 files more on my system compared to my last in-depth scan on January 12th. Can this be caused by the new modules?
    As far as I can see nothing new has been added to my system.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are both the NOD32.000 files the same size? If so, you may be able to delete the older file. What is the size of the ESET folder in program files?
    What type files?

10. Stijnson

When I scanned my computer on January 12th NOD found 208159 files on my system. When I scanned my pc a few minuts ago NOD found 217445 files on my system.

No both NOD32.000 aren't the same size: the newest is 8.061kb and the oldest is 8.050kb. The ESET folder is 48,6Mb (or 48,8, it says under 'size on disk').

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I have no idea where those files came from. :D

I believe I would do the uninstall, reinstall, routine on NOD. That will get rid of some bloat in the folder. Unistall, restart, delete the ESET folder in program files, and reinstall.

12. Stijnson

Hi Ronjor. Thanks for all your help. Do you think I am at risk? NOD didn't find any infections during the in-depth scans.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you a safe surfer? :D If so, I wouldn't think you are at risk. Make sure you use a firewall too. Windows or other.

14. Stijnson

I am a very careful surfer. I have a router with firewall and WinXP firewall. I just thought that some virus had caught NOD (because of the initial AMON error). I'll do an uninstall/reinstall routine like you suggested and then I will report back.

EDIT: I did a reinstall and applied Blackspear's settings again. All seems to be okay again. Let's hope it stays that way. Is a full system scan necessary at this point?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Your call. :D

16. Eclipse99fwb

Eclipse99fwb Registered Member

Well I'm no programmer, so I really can't say for sure what causes file corruption. Some of the Support calls I've done for our customers with Nod32 v2.7 have had similar problems. One call I've taken, I believed the corruption was caused by the User downloading a large file at the same time Nod32 was updating. For whatever reason, some of the update files I guess weren't downloaded right from the server. After the update for Nod32 finished he recieved the same type of error, did a reinstall all work fine. Again though I'm not a programmer or engineer so i really can't say for sure, maybe someone will chime in.

17. Stijnson

All modules and def files seem to be fine now. Let's hope all things go well from here (I hope that the next definitions update will go as normal again). I can't explain the increase in the number of files NOD found during the last scan, but it didn't find an infection (of course this doesn't always mean your clean -:)).

Ronjor and Eclipse: thanks for all your help. I hope I won't have to come back to the forum for this kind of problem any time soon...-:)

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You're welcome Stijnson. The forums are open 24/7 in the event other questions pop up.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

For future reference, the increase in files can be associated with something as minor as Temporary Interent Files(TIF).

For instance, if you cleared your browser cache and then did a scan, you would only have a couple of files associated with the TIF that were scanned, index.dat, desktop.ini....etc. If you then surfed the Internet, which then adds files to your TIF and then scanned, the Nod scan would show an increase in files scanned from previous scan. That is just one example of why file #'s from scan to scan can increase\decrease.

Bubba

20. Stijnson

Thanks Bubba. I just cleaned the cache again, so let's see what the next scan brings -:)
    Just out of curiosity. How large should the ESET folder be under normal circumstances? Mine currently is about 42Megs big. Is that okay?

21. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It is OK . There is no such thing "under normal curcumstances" because in %ProgramFiles%/ESET there is a folder callled "Infected" , it could be non-existing , small or extremely big depending on how many things NOD32 has quarantined . Furthermore , the "ESET" folder contains the log file , they vary from system to system depending on what has been scanned and logged . Plus , LanUpdate edition also creates a few more program files , so ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.