need some advise about SpybotS&D

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by snapdragin, Jun 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

well, i d/l'ed it on my XP and everything went great (didn't delete anything yet), but the program ran smooth and no problem with it at all so far.

then i d/l'ed the version 1.0 for my Win98se and installed it, went through all the options...didn't change anything yet since i don't know it well enough to do that....but when i clicked on the SpybotS&D button (i think that's the one that starts the scan)...it said at the bottom line "Program Started"....but nothing happened. It was just blank. So i closed it, and tried it again...still the same thing.

So i am thinking, ok, maybe it didn't install correctly? i uninstalled it through the Control Panel, Add/Remove and it listed the files to be removed....clicked yes...and just as it was about finished removing the files i received a messaging about an access error (can't get to that message since now i can't access anything on my win9:cool:

anyway, it seemed to finish uninstalling...i manually removed the folder and rebooted. But now i can't seem to open any of my desktop icons....or anything else.

i had wanted to retrieve my email for the registration at SpybotS&D's forum....but i can't open my Netscape...i get a pop up telling me there is only 2 folders in C....(or something)

(i know it's vague..but i'm lost here)

2. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Just a thought - why don't you use "Restore" and go back to a date where everything was fine.

3. snapdragin

Hi Marianna----i have never had to do a system restore so i'm not even sure where i'd begin to do that. i do have a registry backup handy from 3-4 days ago, but i'd rather not go back if i can help it.

i rebooted again and right now i am logged into my Win98 and able to access my files again....for how long i am not sure though, cause i haven't had anything like that happen before.

here is the error message i got when i was uninstalling SpybotS&D 1.0

Exception Access Violation in module SPYBOTSD.EXE at 0003B840. Access Violation at address 0003B840 in module 'SPYBOTSD.EXE'. Read of address 00F3BD04.

no idea what those numbers mean....

i wanted to try and maybe redownload and reinstall SpybotS&D....but not sure if that error msg is something common when uninstalling...or something that my system isn't liking about uninstalling SpybotS&D?

4. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi snapdragin! Win98se is world-renowned for system crashes and failures. I swear it seems like it's almost feline--very, very fussy. You've been lucky so far. I have this OS too. I am jaded to it hanging now and then. I used to freak out.

I would suggest that you turn off any running programs and then run Scandisk. After that run Defrag. I've learned from personal experience that gutting a program from the memory can cause it to go squirrely. Scandisk will get rid of logic errors and Defrag will smooth out the memory in your C drive. Do you have RegClean? I suspect you may be having a problem with your registry. I really cannot advise you on it except to say be extremely careful about what you change. If you are not sure what to do, get help and advice from someone like a computer technician.

I use SpybotS&D on my system and it runs like a top. When I set my options in it I checked the box for having it run as soon as I open the program. I have learned the hardway not to have too many programs begin at startup because sometimes they conflict and cause hanging. Hope you get this worked out. One thing about this OS: it's resilient. Be patient with it. It'll come around.

There are people here that know a lot more than I do. Wait for them to reply. :)

5. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

6. snapdragin

Hi Prince and thank you! You confirmed what i was just thinking of doing. i've had this system since the beginning of 2000 and not once have i had to restore it and usually i've been able to recover from crashes (not too many of them though). i am not sure if that is being lucky or not (?) since it doesn't help me much if i were to really crash it :eek:

i do weekly error scans and defrags....but i think another one is definitely in order....along with the RegClean too!

i am not sure what happened....and i must admit i'm a bit leary on what next to touch in case it happens again....but i know i am going to try and reinstall SpybotS&D again-----i just gotta find where i put that system restore info...i KNOW it's here somewhere!! :)

Marianna, thanks for your quick help! i was finally able to log into SpybotS&D Forum....so maybe i will just sit and read through the posts and see if there was something i missed or something that might be similiar to this error msg.

i'm not giving up on it yet. ;)

7. controler

controler Guest

It looks as if you are saying your Windows 98SE computer was the problem , not your Windows XP.
    I don't think there is a restore in Win 98 is there?
    I been using ME and XP so long I can't remember :(
    Are you running any disk locking software like Norton System Works?
    Appears to be another software conflict.

8. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi snapdragin! Glad to be of some help. Go to the Spybot Forum and post there what you put here OR send it as a message to PepiMK. He wrote it so should be able to help you. :)

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It's not the 'System Restore' like on WinMe.

She can do a Start/Run and then type in

scanreg /restore

though. (Making sure it's typed just like that, with the space between the g and the / ). Pete

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

This might be off topic:

There is a very nice program called ERS9x.
    It is mentioned here:
    http://www.wilders.org/securing_your_pc.htm

It gives you the possibility the make a back-up of all your critical system files.
    I use it on my W98SE and I love it !

11. snapdragin

Spy1---you are right i could have done the Start/Run to go back, but....i forgot about that. (panic does that!) LOL

but when i read FanJ's post, i remembered that i had d/l'ed ERS9x but hadn't installed it yet. i did a thorough scan for errors and no errors came up, then did a defrag, then installed ERS9x, did a complete backup (feel safer now too), and everything seems to be running smooth again.
    (Thank you FanJ for reminding me of that program!) :)

i was able to post at PepiMK's forum about the error msg i got when i uninstalled SpybotS&D, and it seems it may still be a bug related to uninstalling the program.......but i am positive now that my not being able to open my icons was a Window's problem (which is gone now, hopefully for good)

controler---yes, it was my Win98se that was giving me the problem. The SpybotS&D is working great on my XP-Home! But i am sure it isn't a software problem since now i have SpybotS&D working very well on my Win98se.....yup, i wasn't going to give it up that easily!! LOL

PepiMK & Eagle1 were very quick in replying and helping me with my problem.....and Eagle1 has even posted a detailed, step-by-step instruction on what settings to choose. i am so greatful for that!! :D

thanks everyone for all your help.....i'll try and keep my system stable! LOL (FanJ----so where can i ask questions about this ERS9x now??) ~winks~
    ------------
    modified to add that the bug mentioned above is just a tiny bug and harmless as it would disappear after the program terminated, which it did. Also, maybe this might help someone else so i will post the forum url if that is ok.

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d167a1055f8ffff;act=ST;f=28;t=202

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Snap,

If you have questions about ERS9x, you could start a new thread in "Software and Services".
    BTW this is the site of ERS9x:
    http://www.backtec.com/ers9x.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.