Need some advices

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hexamon, May 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hexamon

Hexamon Registered Member

My sister has laptop computer (machine info: AMD 1 GHz, 256 Mt, XP Home) and have complained to me that her computer is getting slower. Antivirus she use now is Norton 2004 Pro. Could be that norton is causing slow performance or something else ? And any suggestions for lighter antivirus that has good options, performance, speed and is easy to use ? :doubt:

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Does she have any anti-spyware programs installed? If not let us know, there are several she should have and do a scan of her computer.

3. Snowperson

Snowperson Guest

Not really a yes or no question since other factors could be playing into this slowness problem. Depending on what you/she has down to tweak the start-up may be a good place to begin.
    M$ turns on just about everything......an by going to start-up you can improve overall preformence simply by un-checking the programs that really do not need to be starting each time the lappy is turned on..or any computer for that matter....just use your own judement.......an understand that by removing programs from start-up the programs are not being removed from the computer.....when you need the programs just go to the program menu and open them...an they start-up
    Of course do not remove your anti virus or firewall from start-up. Nor remove any system needed programs/files. Also, tweak system restore....you may not need to be using as much disc space in restore....which means you wont have as many restore points also.....consider your/her needs.
    As to Norton....moving to a smaller computer recently forces me to resort to using an anti-virus program not to my choosing......in just a few moments I will be removing my anti-virus of choice and replacing it with one that has a smaller footprint. Presenly I own copies of several excellent retail anti virus programs but may have to resort to a freeware version. An my computer is tweaked to the brem........any more tweaking an it will be overclocked....
    Compared to the size you mention my computer is much smaller in MHz....with just 50mhz more I could run my "choice" anti virus....so just maybe if you tweak that start-up your sister may be satisfied....worth a try before removing Norton.

aka: snowman

4. snowperson

snowperson Guest

An yes....PEACHY made a very good suggestion worth your consideration.

HEYA PEACHY>>>good seeing ya

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

NAV 2004 Pro does slow down a system but 256MB RAM should be enough to tackle it. the key factor is the programs and services running on the system. remove the unnecessary and your sister's system will lighten up again. make sure that system doesn't have any malwares. NOD32, F-Prot and DrWeb all are light on the system and also good. i'd suggest in that order.

6. snowperson

snowperson Guest

AMRK is on point.....your sister has enough RAM........

Any particular time she notices the slow-downs?? Is she running a particular program at the time??/

Leaving you in the good hands of Peachy and Amerk......good luck.

ak: snowman

7. Hexamon

Hexamon Registered Member

Ok, now i have installed couple antispyware programs and tested her laptop with them. Installed are Spybot, Ad-Aware and A2 Free. No malware found and nothing else expect couple cookies :) Odd thing was that yesterday A2 Free caused tilt in computer, today everything was fine. And that Norton wants to read and access everything, maybe that is causing those halts ? I will check startup programs and running services. And XP Home, Norton and firewall Outpost Pro have been updated to their last versions. I tested how long it takes to scan whole computer and time was about 52 minutes, is that normal ? Sometimes laptop feels sluggish and slow to respond. Laptop is Compaq Evo N115 if someone wonders.

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

thank you Snowperson, that was very kind of you. Hexamon the scanning time depends on a lot of things. by default NAV scans all file extensions. the number of files, the number of archives, number of archive layers, all these affect the scanning time. right now i don't have access to my NAV 2004 Pro machine so i can't give you my stats. but 52min does make me lift my eyebrow. i can tell u one thing though, that NAV 2004 Pro machine of mine has 256MB SDRAM and it doesn't misbehave. it runs on Windows ME.

9. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Initially, simply disable the running Norton AV Monitor in the sytem tray. If everything now speeds up, then it is the RTM slowing down your sister's system. Secondly, check that this running guard is not checking ALL files, as this will lead to a slowdown.

If Norton is slowing her down, but she wants to stay with this AV program,install more RAM, as XP is a very demanding system. This increased memory should speed everything up.

Alternatively, much lighter AV programs which are easy to use and which she might consider include F-Prot for Windows, Dr Web (with heuristics turned off), NOD, and Command;

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=28952

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  10. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.