Need Some Advice On Security Apps

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Trooper, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Hi guys,

I am currently running Process Guard (trialing it) and am HIGHLY thinking of getting RegDefend. Do you think if I run both of these apps I could disable the active monitors in Counterspy to reduce system resources? I also run Spywareguard (resident), BOClean, and NOD32 to name some others I have in use.

So do you think I could disable say CS and SG resident in favor of PG and RD? Or should I look into getting some other type of of resident protection like Ewido and or A squared? I am not familar with either of those apps, so I have no way to form an opinion on either one.

Im not looking for a contest of which app is better than what. I am merely trying to make a sound decision regarding pc security and protection, while keeping resources and performance to there maximum potential.

I welcome any/all replies.

Thanks as always,

Jag

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am currently running Kav Personal 5.0,Outpost 2.6,ProcessGuard,Regdefend,Prevx Pro 2005, TDS-3 and Wormguard.

For Spyware, I use Spywareblaster, CounterSpy and SpySweeper. For just the reasons you mentioned, with PG,RegDefend and Prevx, I have turned off the real time monitors of both Counterspy and Spysweeper.

Hope that helps.

Pete

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Regdefend and processguard seem to work well together ;)

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Jag,

I'm running NOD32/BOClean/PG/RegDefend together right now. All play together quite well. I've never run any antispyware apps realtime, but do have some and scan infrequently - they haven't been finding anything of late, it's being dealt with on the front end by NOD32 (virtually exclusively for the past couple of months). So to answer your question, yes you could disable CS and SG resident. I'm perfectly comfortable with the configuration you are contemplating.

Actually, just did a KAV 5.0 WS system scan this morning in order to satisfy my own curiosity after a few months of NOD32/etc. - absolutely pristine.

Blue

5. Trooper

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

Blue - That is awesome to know that you have the same setup, with no issues. Im extremely delighted to know I can get rid of the other two apps (SG and CS realtime) in order to free up some resources on my system. :D

Thanks again, really I mean it. These forums are the BEST on the web. I always enjoy reading and posting here, while obtaining information and much needed help sometimes when I am in a jam. :cool:

I hope you all are enjoying the holiday weekend so far.

Jag

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Hi Jaguar,

I was recently was wondering the same, you can see my thread here which has a few responses https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=81637 I plan to get both PG and RD and personally feel that with these two programs an antispyware program running resident is not needed. I really don’t think an antispyware app could block something that PG/RD could not. BTW are you finding PG’s learning curve difficult?

7. CN232

CN232 Guest

Using that reasoning you wouldn't run any antivirus either?

Signature based scanners have their place and are your first line and primary line of defense.

PG and RD cannot tell you if this piece of software you are installing as adware, scanners can.

Really as good as PG/RD is, the hype about it is getting out of hand, if people think they can do without scanners.

8. Trooper

Well I don't think I can do without a scanner CN232. I still plan to have NOD32 and BOClean as resident protection.

I just felt (but was looking for some advice) about getting rid of Spywareguard and Counterspy (resident protection) to free up some resources/memory/cpu (well you get the drift). ;)

I would never run without some sort of AV/AT resident on my system. That to me is playing with fire, something that can be cool perhaps when you are a kid, but later realize its something far to dangerous to mess around with.

As for hype of these products, I only know what I read and have tried for myself.

If you know of any better/stronger/additional products that are better than PG and RD, by all means let me know, I am all ears.

Regards,

Jag

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Yes, I completely agree here, for me it's just 'not done' having no other scanners (whatever they are) besides pg and rd.

It's no hype, it's getting known by now :) it took long enough imo ;)

10. Trooper

Hi Matt_Smi,

So far I have not had any issues with it. Letting it run in learning mode was easy enough, but I shut it off rather quickly as I wanted to be prompted about things if you know what I mean. ;)

I am still trialing it, but I would *assume* that when the full protection of the FULL version kicks in, I will have to relearn some things possibly. Specifically what apps need global hooks, drivers and service installations etc. I think I know my system fairly well with the apps I have installed (which are fairly minimal these days) to know what needs access to what.

If in doubt, I could deny it access and if it breaks or does not function correctly, I will give it the appropriate access rights.

I would say so far so good tho. If you like to learn (which I do) and are willing to spend a little time reading, or if in doubt google some stuff, you should not have any problems. :cool:

So give it a shot and keep us posted. :D

Regards,

Jag

11. BlueZannetti

CN232,

Your extrapolation to eliminate any antivirus really has been neither implied nor explicitly suggested. The concern you note will be handled by an appropriate AT/AV combination.

My personal experience is that superior AV/AT coverage - and there are a number of options beyond what I use that will work as well - deals with spyware extremely well. For me, PG/RD are for backup coverage which can, in large measure, undo any missteps incurred along the way.

Regards,

Blue

12. CN232

CN232 Guest

It seems to be explictly assumed by Matt, how else would you explain this statement?

o_O This is so wrong, comparing apples and bananas (or whatever).

13. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I said an antispyware app, NOT an anti virus/ anti Trojan. I defiantly did not suggest or imply that they should be eliminated. The crux of most real time antispyware apps is a registry monitor, and most of them just poll the registry, which is not nearly as effective as regdefends method which intercepts and stops the changes before they occur. Spyware is not going to be able to mess with much if it can’t touch your registry or running processes; this is why I made the statement I did. I also did not say that antispyware apps should be eliminated for on demand scans. Further more like Blue said, many AVs/ATs include defs for spyware, and NOD can detect it heuristically.

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jag,

In learning mode, PG will automatically give programs their needed rights. However, there may be programs that you run out of learning mode (in the future) that you may have to give specific rights. Usually when I install a new program, I put PG in Learning mode and turn off all switches to let the program acquire what it needs - but not always. It depends upon how much I trust the program.

Good luck with your eval!

Rich

15. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Matt_Smi,

My experiences are very similar to yours. While I still run Giant AS on-demand nowadays, I do not run it in real-time anymore. It takes up too much resources for very little incremental value over and above what I already have: KAV+Ewido+ProcessGuard+WormGuard+RegDefend. In fact, Ewido is probably not needed, but I have already paid for a license, and since it doesn't impact my processing I leave it on. I even turn on BOClean now and then for the fun of it. :) But KAV is awfully strong and the other products are there to catch the 1% that might be missed.

Rich

16. CN232

CN232 Guest

You do know of course, that you can selectively turn off almost all these features? Some I submit add value by covering areas not covered by RD or PG.

Given that this is a forum that mentions layered defense on average of once every 3 posts, it doesnt make sense to run annother scanner for realtime scanning as long as it doesn't conflict.

17. BlueZannetti

Matt_Smi,

I wasn't focusing on spyware detection per se, rather good handling of the trojan downloaders by the AV/AT combination. It's nipped in the bud so to speak.

Blue

18. BlueZannetti

?? not sure what you're getting at here CN232. Personally, I prefer to minimize the number of realtime processes, even if they don't conflict, hence no realtime antispyware on my machine at present.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.