need some advice on current good antimalware softwares?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by imdb, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi guys
    i need some advice on latest effective antimalware softwares. i used to use mbam but for some UNSOLVABLE issues i can no longer get it run on my sytem, i keep getting some runtime error when i launch it after it's installed.
    so i need some other advice, and it's been a while since i stopped following latest trends in the antimalware softwares arena.
    any advice is appreciated.
    i need an antimalware that is as good as mbam. i won't be using it as real time defense, but for weekly scans. I DON'T WANT NO "A vs. B" thread, i just need some advice, that's all.
    thanks

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Hitman Pro would be my #1 pick, followed by Comodo Cleaning Essentials.

Other ones I use are Norton Power Eraser, SUPERAntiSpyware, Trend Micro HouseCall, WinMHR (no removal).

There are tons more in 3., 4., and 5. of my signature (Co-Author line).

3. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit - my favorite here.
    Panda Cloud Cleaner is good.
    You can consider Eset Online Scanner as well though on my PCs it feels heavy.

All these three are on-demand only and can clean infection.

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a good option....but another really good option besides the Emsisoft Emergency Kit is:

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

During the download, you can choose to install a 30 day Full Free Trial....OR simply select the option for the "Scanner Only".

The one really nice feature that Emsisoft Anti-Malware offers over Emsisoft Emergency Kit is the "right click scan" option for scanning individual files.

5. er34

er34 Guest

@imdb

Make sure your Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware is completely removed using their cleaner :
    http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_clean

As for your question - another vote for HitmanPro and ESET Online Scanner

Some advise - do not user tons of programs (for second opinion or major). Think of improving your overall security. Check this list:

1. Use a firewall (software - Windows Firewall or other - and hardware)
    2. Windows and all Microsoft products should be fully updated
    3. All or most products you have - up-to-date (think of Adobe, Java, browsers)
    4. In addition to your AV product - add autorun protection such as Autorun Eater
    5. Make sure your browser settings are at recommended or higher level.
    5.1 Consider web privacy protection and ad removal - IE TPLs or Ghostery
    6. Use some kind of web-reputation technology such as WoT or Norton SafeWeb Lite, or McAfee SiteAdvisor
    7. Consider these Windows technologies such as User Account Control at max settings, Protected mode, DEP, SmartScreen Filter, Early Launch AntiMalware driver and others
    8. Perform regularly automatically or manually back-ups of data (files back-ups and full images - Windows has built-in very good options)
    9. Consider encrypting your hard drive and data (BitLocker or something else)

*** You can learn more at www.microsoft.com/protect

6. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit for full scan
    Hitman Pro for daily scan

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thank you all for your contributions.
    btw, i'd like to indicate that my system isn't infected, and i don't have any doubts that it might be infected. i just wanna have a backup scanner for on-demand scans.

and after i read er34's post, i realized that i have already done all the things in his recommendations list, except for article 9 which is hdd encryption which i don't think i really need it. and as an extra i also use a secure dns service.

anyways, thanks again guys.

regards

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

btw, i must say that it really amazed me how big the filesize of emsisoft amw's installer is. i mean 260 mb, come on, that's too big, even for a software as comprehensive and good as emsisoft amw itself.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik the reason for the size is mainly because of Bitdefender :doubt:

10. imdb

imdb Registered Member

really? until now i didn't know that one of the dual scanning engines emisoft has is bitdefender's scanning engine.
    has emsisoft been acquired by bitdefender? when did that happen?

11. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Emsi just bought their engine to replace Ikarus.

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks for the info, siketa.

13. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Primary reason why i will not use it.
    The bloat is unforgivable and inexcusable.

Give it a year and it will nearly double in size.:ninja:

14. guest

guest Guest

+1 for HMP. Even though I don't like OD scanners (don't ask) it impressed me very well. An excellent choice as a second hand scanner. :thumb:

I could remember that last year the file-size was like ~120mb. Dare to guess it'll be 325mb in 2014. :D

15. Solarlynx

On my PC EEK is of 286 MB.:eek: (LOL - the name for this smiley is EEK!)

If it were pure cloud...

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No no, as others have said already, Emsisoft changed engine from Ikarus to Bitdefender, so they are licensing the engine from Bitdefender just as many other vendors are doing.

FYI, you may find this list interesting:http://www.av-comparatives.org/av-vendors/ And as you can see Emsisoft is not the only vendor that's using the Bitdefender engine :D

17. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Very misleading . Emsisoft ALSO uses in-house engine . And recommendations would be Malware Bytes and Emsisoft . Hard to go wrong with these .

18. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Quite so. People keep ignoring that simple fact.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Hard to go wrong indeed.
    But, in truth, if you can afford Emsisoft you'll need nothing else.

20. Disney

Disney Registered Member

Agreed !!!

21. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks for that link to av vendors list, swex. it is interesting indeed. i never knew there are so many av vendors around.

well, disney, thanks for your contribution but it ain't misleading at all. cuz if you look at my previous post, you ll see that i indicated that info.here:

as for your mbam recommendation, i already indicated that i get a runtime error when i launch it, and i did all recommendations on mbam's own forum and on other forums, no avail.

thanks anyway.

22. guest

guest Guest

for OD scans:

Emsisoft Emergency Kit > Emsisoft AM

why? because:

EEK is Portable so can be stored (the app and database) on any drive and it doesn't add a service.

23. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

The service can easily be disabled and/or switched to "manual only".

Also, EAM adds "right click scanning", which is a very valuable resource....as well as the ability to become a full suite.

It depends on what the user is looking for....there is no "one size fits all". That's why some prefer the EEK for the reasons you mentioned, while others would prefer EAM for the ones that I did.

24. Solarlynx

For me portable apps are preferable as I use Eaz-Fix/CTM and can at any instant jump to a previous snapshot. EEK stays in not changing disk.

25. Fabian Wosar

Fabian Wosar Developer

And so will most of the other AVs. Unless you remove old detections, your database will always grow. There is no way around that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.