Need some advice for my new laptop

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rimo1973, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rimo1973

Rimo1973 Registered Member

Hi,

Today my new laptop,HP G7 will arrive.
    I am really looking forward to it.
    But this means that I also want to be sure I have a good security(AV and firewall).
    At this moment with my old laptop I am use MSE and the standard Windows firewall.
    My new laptop will have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 installed.
    Most of the time I will use it at home with wireless internet.
    For mail I am using Gmail ,and some accounts in Thunderbird.
    I am a normal user and I watch what I am doing,I use my head with opening emails and clicking links ;-)
    Is MSE and the standard Windows firewall enough or should I change this to another AV(Avast,Avira…) and another firewall like Comodo?
    I hope you can give me some advice,because I need to be sure to be safe with my new laptop.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards,
    Richard

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

You could end up with many different answers. But personally I think since you are on 64 bit Windows 7 you will be fine as long as you keep your apps and plug-ins updated, also flash, java, etc updated- run UAC and Windows firewall and pick a lightweight antivirus. Maybe I would add a DNS like Norton. Have an on demand scanner like Hitman Pro or MBAM and that's about it. Just have a decent backup plan or image program as well. Essentially just keep things updated, have a little extra security on the internet and maybe a av scanner. Otherwise your use of the computer will turn into trying security product after security product and many of these cause more trouble than actually having malware.Keep it simple and enjoy the use of your new computer.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

good advise my friend:thumb:

4. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Yes, very good advice acr1965 :thumb:

And Welcone to Wilders Security Forums Rimo1973

HKEY1952

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

What I would recommend is add a few "on demand" scanners, such as MBAM, SAS and TDSSkiller. They won't interfere with MSE and you can use them occasionally for confirmation that you don't have any problems.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree with what's been said. I'd like to add that on a new computer I would make first thing first a backup image of the OS and find out what is included by the manufacturer (DVD or emergency partition), so that whatever might happen, your OS can be restored within minutes.

7. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

On a 64-bit machine, I personally find MSE, Windows Firewall and Hitman Pro to be quite enough. Also, I always keep the mint (factory-state) image of every laptop I purchase for myself or friends/family.

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont forget the prevention measure practice it is always better than the cure;)

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

You can add Sandboxie and keep MSE and the Windows Firewall.
    OR
    Use CIS together with avast! or Avira.
    OR
    Use other Apps like Deep Freeze, Returnil etc.

You have to try these setups and see:

a) their impact on your Laptop Resources...;)
    b) their impact on you (i.e. how Comfortable do you feel while using them...) ;)

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Comodo Firewall with D+ and Sandboxing with an AV and you should be good. The HIPS/sandbox on Comodo will catch what the AV does not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.