Need recommendations for gmail filters!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ratchet, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I keep getting spamed from a gambling site. They (it) keep changing their name, subject, address, etc. They seem to be able to defeat every filter I create. Gmail has always recognized them a spam but I set the filters to just delete them but it never seems to work. Is there anyway to change the google default 30 days it keeps spam, as that would be an improvement? Thank you!

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

can you use wild cards with gmail filters? For instance, if you want any email from a site in China can you use a filter such as *@anysite.cn ?

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Thank you for the reply! I'm sure wild cards work and I have used them but they mask the domains. Sometime it will be gobblely gook.org or gob gook yahoo.com,etc. They are very good at what they do!

4. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

create keyword filters.

so create a filter where any email which contain all the following;
    gamble, free,
    then;
    free, gambling
    and so on.

this way it does not matter if they keep changing their email address/domain

5. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This Gmail help article may help.

If sender that you do not wish to receice email from constantly changes the "from" address, you would be constantly adjusting filters to compensate for the garbage email. Best bet, delete them as they arrive. This is a known weakness of polling Gmail from the Web.

I use Opera web mail and have the same issues with several senders. Have given up and delete them as they arrive. Eventually, they may go away.

6. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

like i said in the above post, there is no need/point to create filters for domain names and subject fields, instead create filter for the contents of the email. i have used this technique to virtually eliminate all spam from a clients gmail account. just make sure to create white lists for your name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.