Need Recommendation For Spyware Software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Limoman, Oct 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limoman

Limoman Registered Member

I know we're on Wilders Security Forum and can certainly appreciate any allegiance to their software, but with that said....can anyone recommend the "best" software to protect from spyware/adware?

I'm currently running a variety of programs:
    Spyware Guard
    AdAware
    SpyBot Search and Destroy
    SpyHunter
    No Adware
    CWShredder

Is there a definitive software program or programs that is considered the most effective?

Thanks for the help.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi Limoman. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Since u are not specifically asking about Javacool products(this is the SpywareBlaster and other forum), i will move this thread to the Privacy Software forum for better attention. ;)

snowbound

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  3. Limoman

Limoman Registered Member

Thank you. Sorry about that.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I also use
    a2
    spywareblaster
    processguard
    mozilla firefox
    winpatrol

bigc

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

U should also take a look at this,

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

NoAdware and Spyhunter are on the rogue list, although it looks like Spyhunter might be legit now.....

snowbound

6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I believe in Spyblocker and spywarestopper

7. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

CWshredder solves only the "CoolWeb" problem
    I'd list out:

Spybot SD
    AdAware SE
    Giant AntiSpyware (wilders did have a thread on it)
    Webroot SpySweeper (give it a shot, its nice)
    Spyare Blaster/Spyare Guard (JavaCool software)
    a2 free - only on demand scan
    a2 personal - on demand, on access scans, IDS/Fireall in built
    (Don't know much about a2, but a2 free picked up a trojan before Norton AV did, based on generic behaviour rather than signature files)

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I notice that in the last tests by E Howes the above two products were not included . I wonder how they would fair?. Spyware blocker is thought to be up there with the best as prevention . They both come with the option of life time licences also which is a very good deal in the long term . Especially as the life time licences are about the same cost as a year of pest patrol or giant .

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Limoman,

I've tried out serveral spyware programs. Ad-aware and Spybot complement each other and tend to find different pieces of spyware with the least number of false positives. Fakse positives can be a pain because I end up having to track down each alert to see if it is real or not.

Pest Control had by far and a way the most false positives with the least number of real detections, so I stay away from it. SpySweeper is O.K, but there were many FPs and so it became a nuisance and I took it off my machine. Giant Anti-Spyware at first had a few FPs but lately it seems to be a lot cleaner. It found a nasty piece of spyware yesterday that Spybot and Adaware totally missed. I am finishing up my trial period with Giant AS, and I will most probably purchase it based upon this last experience. None of the anti-viruses or anti- trojans that I ran picked up on this pience of spyware.

You may also want to look at either Process Guard 3.0 or Systems Safety Monitor as a way of trapping nasties before they have a chance to burn you. Also, I have to say that I am totally impressed with Prevx. It blocked a nasty that somehow got through FireFox and stopped and Overflow Buffer condition before it could destroy me. I used Process Guard to track down the little devil - which was hiding in Norton Systemworks and SSM's directorys somewhere - and just deleted all traces. I'm still in shock in the way that the nasty was able to get through so quickly and easily. I have KAV 4.5.104 with extended databases, BOClean, SSM, Prevx, and Giant AS all running in real-time mode, and it still got through. I am going to have to look at my FireFix options and see if I can tighhten up a bit.

Hope this helps,
    Rich

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

11. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.