Need opinions on new AV for in-laws.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acillatem, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, not really sure what are you referring to here. If he's asking about Avira Free, then the update screen for sure is not a "small window in the top right corner of your monitor" but a huge pop-up nag covering over half of your screen and definitely annoying like hell, I really don't know what they are thinking. You need either the permissions hack or disallow avnotify.exe via secpol.msc to get rid of it. If you are talking about the paid premium version, you can edit the scheduled task and choose "invisible" and you won't see any such thing like you've described.

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Referring to the premium update screen and ofcourse you can disable the visibility, but again........instead of describing every little detail here, it's about time they have a look and try themselves!

3. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

Well, like I said, I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it, and whether or not it will be pretty much hands off, because my wife and I are the ones that have to try and explain things over the phone to my mother in law, and being a little older, a lot of computer related stuff is over her head. It does sound like I can install this and walk away, for the most part, but it's good to know if maybe there will be any little "surprises". I'll be installing it soon......they aren't next door, that's all.:)

4. tmaertin

tmaertin Registered Member

I understand the wife's concern - what I would do is trial Avira Premium for 30 days and see what they think. They are going to get a little pop up once in a while that says they have a trial version. Also, set your daily update to invisible (under scheduler) so the update box doesn't pop up.

Now as far as uninstalling Norton...you are going to have some fun. In my experience you are better off completely reinstalling the OS, however, that may not be possible. Here is what I would do in the event an OS reinstall is not a possibility:

1) Disable all Norton/Symantec start up items and stop/disable services (i believe there might be a service that you cant stop - thats ok) *edit* forgot to add uninstall norton and live update via add/remove programs
    2) download and run the norton removal tool here http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    3) the norton removal tool also does not remove everything. i would search for any files/folders with the names norton or symantec and also do the same thing to the registry. you could use the registry cleaner function of ccleaner but i would be careful what you are deleting

*anyone is welcome to add details to my above steps as they are just from memory a few years ago and i am sure better detail could be added*

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  5. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I think avast! (free?) would be a good choice.

6. acillatem

That's exactly what I did last time. Unbelievable how much crap it leaves behind after it's "uninstalled".

7. dowzup

dowzup Registered Member

So, how are you all buying Avira Premium for just $20?

Thanks,
    Joe

8. Big Apple

9. acillatem

I'm going to install the Avira premium on their computer tomorrow, and have a question regarding the virus definition updating on this program.......does it check for new definitions every time the computer boots up, or can it at least be set to do that? Reason I ask is that they don't turn this computer on more than once or twice a week, so having any time of scheduled updating would be tough, likewise with a system scan, but that's no big deal as long as they have protection, but the definition updating is more of a concern. Thanks in advance!

10. Big Apple

Default update schedule is every 24 hours, so would be perfect in your case. Daily update! So.....if they start up the computer every few days, it'll update automatic, as 24 hours have passed! Nothing to worry about!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  11. acillatem

Cool.....thanks!

12. acillatem

Got Norton off the system today, and installed the premium trial version. I wanted to buy the premium version, but their site was having issues, so I couldn't get to the page to purchase it. Even tried after downloading the trial by clicking on the buy option in the popup, but when it got to the page where you select the term for the renewal and click renew license, it would just hang, and never load the page. Anyway, I didn't realize until we got home that they email you a license #, even for the trial, and you need to enter it when prompted.......we never did, because we simply thought it was a 30 day trial, end of story. When we emailed a test virus, it didn't catch it,so I'm assuming it isn't checking email, because technically it's probably the free version, without the license #. So, when I get a day off, I'll have to go over there, and I assume uninstall the program, and reinstalll it, and enter the license # when prompted. Hopefully by then I will have got the 1 or 2 year license for them, but anyway, seems like a good program.....very intuitive, didn't slow the comp down very much at all........nothing like Norton! I'm not sure If I can enter the license # somewhere in the program or not. My in-laws are careful with email, and the rest of the system is protected, and they don't use it much, so for a few days, no big deal.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  13. Big Apple

There's no license # for the trial needed! After buying the license, you either get an activation code or a key and all you have to do is follow the directions to add this to the program through the tab 'Help' - 'License Management'.
    Also, you don't need to uninstall the trial and the email module is active with the trial, so.......don't worry and just be happy and so will your in-laws be. ;)

14. acillatem

They emailed a license #........some file you can download and it says to enter it when promptedo_O

15. Big Apple

If it is an activation code, you can enter this in the tab 'Help' and then 'Licensemanagement' as mentioned in my prior post.
    If it is the Key file, like: HBEDV.key and sent as an attachment, you can save this file on your desktop and then point to that key file in that location, it'll be loaded and you're all set.
    avira license.jpg

Just look closely and it's not hard! That's all it takes, turning the trial into a fully licensed program.

16. acillatem

Yes, that's what they sent us....the HBEDV.key. Actually, they sent a link to a page where you download that HBEDV.key, but didn't realize we had to use it to activate it. They wanted an email address to download it and didn't say that we'd have to get that file.Saw the email much later. Anyway, so now do you see what I mean about the email scanning most likely not working? I sent the EICAR test virus to ourselves and it didn't catch it. Sounds like we installed the free version and didn't activate it to the full premium trial version, thus no email scan.This license wizard is something I can access in the installed program. I know that sounds like a stupid question. but I just want to make sure. I have a day off thursday, and want to go over and square this up for them. Thanks for all your help, by the way!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Metallica, is it the trial version what you're installing for your in-laws, correct? if you used the default installation you'll be fine. Did you send the plain eicar.txt file or the zipped one to test the program? is it a POP or webmail email account what you used? in the other hand, if i were you, i would instruct the AV to operate in 'automatic' mode in case of malware detection (your relatives might get confused with pop-ups, options whatsoever). Forget the fp's, i very much doubt they'll find any :D (i would even disable heuristics for them), but to be extra careful configure avira to quarantine its findings just in case. To do so, go to program's main window => configuration => tick 'expert mode' box => expand the 'scanner' and 'guard' tabs => click 'action for concerning files' and select the automatic mode, tick the 'copy file to quarantine...' box, choose 'repair' for primary action and 'delete' as secondary. Remember to apply these changes for both the scanner & guard tabs.
    The license wizard is located under the 'Help' menu => licensemanagement (avira's main window).

Let the trial run out and if after this they decide to keep it, just PM me to get a nice discount on the program ;)

18. acillatem

Yes, the trial version of the premium.
    I used the default installation, yes, but never put the HBEDV.key in like I was supposed to. They don't tell you to do that on install, or I missed it. Saw it in an email later. That's what makes me think the email scan isn't working.I tried to download the zip Eicar test file, and it stopped it, but tried to send the plain Eicar text file for the email test,and it went through. My NOD32 catches that, so I'm assuming Avira should too?? It is a POP email account.
    I think we set the settings like you said, or darn close,but I will doublecheck, because we don't want them to have to figure out what to do with the popups,or at least keep it to a minimum.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  19. Big Apple

If you installed the trial of the Premium version, the email scan is working 100% and you have the proof, so what's the problem? I really think you should ask someone for further help in your neighbourhood, as I find it amazing, that you try to install such a simple program and need a thread like this. What more can we write to help? I don't think you get it up and running properly this way! Sorry to say so. Have you ever thought of reading the help section of Avira Premium?

20. Big Apple

In what way can you get a nice discount? I'll be interested as well, when my license runs out!

21. matt231

matt231 Registered Member

That's a bad attitude to have IMHO.

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

By default avira doesn't detect .txt files, this type of files are harmless anyway. Yours is working ok don't worry.
    check pm box

23. acillatem

I installed it, and I don't "need" a thread like this......I asked a few questions. I really think you should mind your own business.Since it didn't catch the EICAR test virus, I assumed it wasn't working properly, especially because I hadn't put that HBEDV.key in the program. My virus program catches that EICAR test virus. I find it amazing you can't see how I was curious if it was working properly.That's why I assumed it wasn't a fully functioning program. Maybe you're not reading my posts carefully. I know how to set up a simple program, so save your sarcasm...........don't talk to me like I'm stupid......just don't respond if you don't like my questions. I appreciate your help, but not your snide remarks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  24. acillatem

Whatever. Already got rid of Norton, and installed Avira.............computer runs unbelieveably faster.

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Sorry to disagree, but Norton 2002 was the last great version for me; 2003 - 2005 NIS were appalling, so that was the last time ever I purchase their product, even if they have improved since. It's simply a case of too little, too late. No more chances (and I even gave three, no less!). It's like the time we went to a certain restaurant, ordered meatloaf and it was delicious. The next time we ordered it again, it was horrendous, probably at least day old. We never returned - ever. They lost two customers for life because of lousy service. That's how I react to such impertinence. The op has found something that works, is happy with it, so that is all that really matters for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.