Need opinions - My current setup

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Oaty, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

Hello all, I feel it it time again for me to have my current setup for the family evaluated... since i dont manage to get onto their computers frequently and their computer knowledge has increased a fair bit over the last few years i have made many changes.

Current setup
    • Kaspersky Pure (Anti-Virus, Malware protection, firewall, backups, password manager)
    • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (paid version)
    • CCleaner (run rarely)
    • Secunia PSI (auto updates stuff)
    • Firefox with with these extensions:
      -WOT (Web of Trust)
      -Adblock plus (and a big set of lists)
      -Kaspersky URL advisor​

Also on my computer
    (OBSOLETE) Sandboxie (need a recommendation on what to replace this on my computer with since im running Win7 6b bit)

Any recommendations will be considered, feel free to have your say but don't flame, I want justified reasons for the changes you list.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies. :thumb:

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think you're fine. Why is Sandboxie obsolete? On second thought an imaging program would be my first concern, if you don't have one already.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

Last what I've read is that sandbox is incompatible with windows 7 AND 64 bit systems.
    Isn't the backup feature of kaspersky a form of imaging?

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

that was then, these days it supports 64bit

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

U've a good set up, no need to change anything

Sandboxie does have 64bit version
    And the latest beta 3.55.xx has a new protection that make it almost on par with 32bit version.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

nothing to add
    you are good to go:thumb: :thumb:

7. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If PURE includes disk imaging, then nothing more is needed. You could add Hitman Pro if you want.

9. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

Hello, sorry to revive this chat but it is a continuation of it.
    I have been chatting with people and other recommendations to improve my setup are:
    • PeerBlock (with a large amount of lists from iBlocklist.com)
    • CCleaner (Change settings for a more thorough wipe for DNS,LSO and such)
    • Firefox addon:
      -Better Privacy
      -HTTPS-Everywhere
      -No Script
      -Stop Autoplay
      -Locationbar 2 (like on google chrome greying of the extended site details to only see main side)[I like this one and have already incorporated it for all computers]
      -Tor Button(for private browsing)​

I've considered using Sandboxie but can't see a reason why when I can do a complete uninstall with Revo Uninstaller (this wont be on family computers due to complexity).
    PeerBlock seems like another firewall to me and don't know why you would stack it on top of another one (Kaspersky Firewall)

Whats your opinion?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I don't see any keylogger protection. If you do any financial work you really should have it (unless you have a CitiBank account, in which case they let your info out already).

11. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

A suggestion would be nice, plus your opinion on my current set up?
    Also Kaspersky could spot keyloggers and has an onscreen keyboard feature if that would help...

12. mhl6493

mhl6493 Registered Member

Zemana Antilogger did well on the recent MRG Banking test, both 32 and 64-bit. Sorry, didn't take the time to find the link. But it's readilly available and already discussed here on Wilders. I've added it to my setup, and it's working nicely.

13. blasev

blasev Registered Member

spyshelter is also good option for keylogger protection
    but kaspersky should be able to handle most of the keylogger threat.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  14. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You'll have to trust me on this, but Kasp. will not stop a serious keylogger.

As to the rest of your setup, if you are running MB real-time, any AV Suite will suffice, as MB will stop true zero day stuff very well, and Kaspersky's definitions will cover you against legacy malware. And if MB is running real-time I really don't see the need for the Kaspersky FF extension.

For an anti-keylogger the best would be either Zemana or Spyshelter. Spyshelter has greater breath than Zemana, but remember you are just concerned in the keylogging detection (and Spyshelter is alot noisier. Personally I use Zemana- it takes up ~15,000K RAM and is in no way intrusive.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what is MB real-time?

16. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I guess Malwarebytes.

17. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Add Noscript For Firefox it's very importent

with some ondemand scanner

Like Hitman Pro

18. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Yep, and BetterPrivacy, FlashBlock, Ghostery, Linkextend, :)

19. carat

carat Guest

You should add a couple of on demand scanners :D

20. LodeStone

LodeStone Registered Member

Sandboxie is the most important protection of all against malware. So much so that there are those who have used Sandboxie for years without any other AV, and it kept their machine completely clean.

The developer -Tzuk- recommends the use of another AV next to his Sandboxie, because "you never know."

But all other AV is secondary.

See again why with this animated illustration:
    http://www.sandboxie.com/

The Sandboxie forum is also very friendly and helpful. They've always immediately helped me, including with some non-Sandboxie related questions. :cool:

21. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Kaspersky's password manager and virtual keyboard should take care of keyloggers.

22. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Agree 100%.

23. Oaty

Oaty Registered Member

So ive been contemplating getting a VPN for my computer rather then alot of these addons and such...
    The VPN ive been looking at is the one supplied via BTGuard, this is to replace things such as:
    DNS
    Firefox:TOR Button

Also no one answered about PeerBlock and it being like another firewallo_O
    On another note when using sandboxie do you need to uninstall then wipe the sandbox or if you just nuke the sandbox w/o an uninstall will there be ANY traces left?

24. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

In reality, the two potentially strongest aspects of your setup would be Noscript and Sandboxie. Noscript can potentially eliminate the risk of malware scripts running, and Sandboxie can potentially contain any infections to a sandbox (although it can be used in more inventive ways as well.)

Adblock Plus is an excellent tradeoff for more usability/speed compared to Noscript (which I found slowed things down too much) as long as you have MalwareDomain subscription. Flashblock is useful as well given how targetted Adobe Flash is, although I wouldn't rely on it for security.

The only things I'd add would be HOSTS protections (MVPS + MalwareDomainList using Hostsman), disable the DNS service, and use an alternative DNS to offload some of the web filtering work to another machine. If you keep the HOSTS up to date, then along with something like ClearCloudDNS and the MBAM IP blocker, you'll find it very difficult to access sites hosting malware.

With MBAM Pro realtime protection, the actual antivirus is less important. Kaspersky is very good quality, though relatively heavy if you check some performance benchmarks (e.g. raymond.cc, av-comparatives.org).

Anything else after this just depends on how much your system can take, and how much you value your privacy. I would only use Peerblock for P2P, but if your system can manage it then the China blocklist no doubt will be handy ;) You can easily go overboard with Firefox addons and make things unusable, so I wouldn't have too many "link checker" type addons as they tend to introduce delays with browsing. I'm told WOT is pretty light though, but haven't tried it yet and don't really see the need on top of everything else.

25. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Well, well, well everyone wants to suffocate their computers with this and that security software. Man I can see that you already have Kaspersky Pure; then what more do you need? Kaspersky Pure covers all your bases.

You do not have to live for your computer, just enjoy it. For that to happen you have to let it breathe a lot. One good security software such as Kaspersky Pure is all that you need.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.