need new firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by hudjem, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

Hi,

I am running winxp with nis2007, along with weekly avg checks and monthly kav online scans. I'm still getting trojans and hijacks. I don't believe NIS is doing its job. Also when I undate virus defs, the intrusion protections sometimes errors out. checking with symantec has not corrected the problem.

anyhow, i'd like a more reliable firewall, more specifically better intrusion protection. I've been reading and searching here - thinking of trying comodo, but i don't feel confident i'd configure it properly and i don't want to deal with constant alerts i may not know how to handle.

I need something effective but user friendly. can someone out there suggest viable alternatives.

I have decided to try superantispyware --- so thank you Wilders security site for that bit of info:)

I'm grateful for any suggestions you can offer .... thanks

2. Hefaistos22

Hefaistos22 Registered Member

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello hudjem,
    first things first you should be able to use nis2008 with your current license so download the trial from the symantec website,uninstall nis2007 reboot,run symantec removal tool reboot then install the trial and put in your details.
    link to trial

how can i put this.
    maybe you need to reconcider your surfing habits.
    also concider getting a router with bulti in firewall
    ever since getting a router with bulti in firewall i havent had any alerts from my firewall mainly because all inbound traffic is sorted out by the router.
    what browser do you use?
    maybe you should seek a alternate browser such as firefox or opera
    you could try using your browser in sandbox such as sandboxie

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

thanks, i've dl'd it and am giving it a try. i have it set for clean machine, not too bad except for some installations. but i'll keep doing av scans and make sure i am protected.

thanks for your input.

5. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

I don't want to go to nis08 -heard bad things about it and nis is a very bloated application. I just disengaged the firewall and i'm trying out comodo.

thats was precisely the problem, i wasn't geting ANY alerts. then I'd run a scan and find a file thats been on my pc for months is now infected. The virus it finds is years old so why didn't my realtime av/fw catch ito_O I update defs daily.

I use Opera primarily (love the mail client), firefox for some sites (oprah :shifty: ) that i can't work with opera and IE only when an application requires it.

never heard of sandboxie - if comodo doesn't work out i'll look into sandboxie.

thanks for the input. i do appreciate it

6. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

its me again...could i use sandboxie with comodo?

thanks...again

7. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

Yes, you should be able to.

8. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

thanks

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I don't want to start a comparison thread, but I have been using Online Armor since December and it's a set it and forget it FW, free or paid copy v2.1.0.131. I upgraded to CPF3 and found it too much for me so switched to OA on advice from Wilders forum threads. :cool:

10. 3xist

3xist Guest

Learn how to use CFP 3? Help File?

:p OA/CFP 3 are good Firewalls anyway

11. fax

fax Registered Member

IMO, more than a firewall you need a good anti-malware tool.
    AVIRA, KAV, NOD based malware tools should be good candidate for your use.

Firewalls do not necessarily stop trojans/hijacks unless you know what to deny or block.

Cheers,
    Fax

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

To answer your post, I did learn what I could from the help folder, but I didn't want to deal with CPF v3 and it's complexity. So thanks to a few tips in the Wilders forum I stumbled upon OA. I had it set up and working for me in no time. OA doesn't need a learning curve.

13. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

i'm using nis2007 just turned off the firewall with the installation of comodo. I do addl scans with avg weekly and keep all defs up to date. Would this be enuf? oh yeah, also have spyguard and spyware blaster engaged.(forgot about them -need to update)

There was a problem with norton firewall as it was not closing all my ports. comodo is closing all my ports (used the firewall test)

Its only be 2 days but i'm not experiencing any problems with current config.
    If there is something else i need to know/do pls advise and thanks for the input.

14. hudjem

hudjem Registered Member

actually i choose not to go with oa since with the free version you can only upgrade with an uninstall and unstall of new version. I'd read they have frequent upgrades and didn't want to dicker with that. comodo hasn't proven to be that daunting....yet;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.