Need MSN messenger virus help

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by sherryxp2000, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Some of my daughters friends on Windows Live Messneger, Windows Messenger, and MSN Messenger, have IM (instant message) viruses/worms on their computers. Her's is safe because we are protected. So many of her friends have this virus/worm and I just can't go visit them all to remove it.

Most of the viruses and worms are like mentioned on this site:
    http://cotojo.wordpress.com/category/virus/

My question is, does anyone known of a free scanner like McAfee Stinger or Avast's cleaner tool or ESETS ONLINE SCANNER that will remove these cases? Or are all of them SPECIAL cases which require manual fixes?

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

why not you use a antivirus
    eset provide very powrfull and light AV in whole world
    pls make a 30-trial version of EAV or ESS if you like it you can buy it
    http://www.eset.com/download/free_trial_download_int.php
    no other cleaner tool can help you a lot you need a realtime protection

3. sherryxp2000

You just have to understand the people in my area are often PC illiterate when it comes to PC care. 9 out of 10 of them have crap like Norton AV, McAfee, and they never update it nor update the subscription. Even doing simple trial installs for them are not so easy for them.

I was just trying to find a quick fix for them, and something VERY simple to help them out as a friend.

I myself, indeed, bought ESS.

Just trying to do a nice favor for her friends that they can understand.

4. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

5. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Hi

I sort of got infected using MSN messenger about a month ago... I found a tool which removes exclusively meesenger threats, its called MSNcleaner...

I would also suggest a virtualization app, like returnil, for yourself...just trusting in an AV isn't enough

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why not ask them to try a free av like Antivir, Avast or AVG?

7. sherryxp2000

Because they would have problems uninstalling Norton or McAfee.

I think I found a quick fix tho with the MSN Cleaner and Fix programs.

8. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Sherry, even if you help them clean their PC this time, there's a possibility they will be infected in the future unless they are willing to change their ways and follow preventive measures. If they are not willing to change, let them be, it's their PC. Forcing them to do what is good for them will only give you a headache. "Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another."

thanatos

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Why do them a favor ? Cleaning malware is usually not an easy and fast task . It isn't that simple like it used to be years ago.

You are protected . Your traffic is scanned . Then don't worry about theirs.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think unistalling McAfee or Norton is a big deal. It,s like any other software uninstall most of times.

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

If uninstalling is an issue, then why don't you set the AV programs to automatically update on a preset time schedule? Most AV programs have a self updating feature without you having to manually download the update by opening up the program and then searching for the update function.

BTW, I used to use McAfee for many years and uninstalled it with no problems. I also deactivated Norton on another PC and replaced it with another AV with no problems. Norton and McAfee should have the option to self update the program when you install it or you should be able to change that option setting.

12. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Agree with thanatos.
    The motivation is excellent, there may be some applications you could encourage them to install, but in the end, it's their problem.
    Why not put out a "feeler" message, to ask them if they would like to learn how to prevent this happening? You'll get a gauge from the response who's worth investing your time in, and who isn't.

[Edit] Re "it's their problem", actually, it's everyone's problem, so good on you for having a go. But you may find it's a bit like trying to convince kids to not take drugs.

13. brank20

brank20 Registered Member

Superantispyware works wonders for manual scans.
    http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
    AVG AV is free, any 30 day trial av should clean it as well.

14. sherryxp2000

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I've made a small tutorial for them, along with their options. So I hope this will lead them in the right direction.

Thanks so much guys!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.