Need Live OS with These Tools

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I would like a live distro that includes tools for downloading Flash videos and converting them to MP4.

Can you think of one, or just an open-source tool that can convert FLV to MP4?

Also a distro with completely anonymous browsing would be nice.

Note this is for completely legal purposes, I just want my privacy to be preserved.

EDIT: Just found out about Tails OS, and VLC can do the conversions?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Every browser these days has a "private browsing" mode so there's no need for a particular distro. If you're really paranoid you can connect to the web via an anonymous DNS service. So on a secured home network, its not like other users can see where you have gone unless you want them to!

Flash is buggy and when it gets replaced by HMTL5, every one will be able to see movies without the demands put on it by Flash, which isn't as secure and tightly locked as Fort Knox! So its not really a major worry if you're not doing anything that you should be doing at home. :cool:

3. Brandonn2010

Private browsing just blocks 3rd parties though, not ISP?

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Why? Does your ISP see where you are surfing or what web pages you visit? I've subscribed to my ISP for several years now and never once have they inquired about my browsing habits.

5. Try Liberte 12.03, it may have what your loooking for.

6. Brandonn2010

I just feel guilty going to such sites. I won't say what sites but you can put 2 and 2 together.

I am also wondering if an iPod Touch connected to our WiFi would show up to our ISP the same as computers? If that's the case, then I have no reason to worry about going to such sites on an actual PC as I have gone to them on my iPod.

7. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Brandonn2010,

One question you should answer is whether your ISP's DNS servers are being used - i.e. either via an ISP provided router with default ISP router settings, or your OS settings that are set to use the ISP's DNS servers. If youu don't know that login to your router as admin - it is usually the URL address: http://192.168.1.1 or something like that to find out your router settings. Consult the router's documentation for more information.

In any case, you should probably change the default ISP DNS servers and use the settings for OpenDNS. This will insure that at least your ISP will not be logging where you go via logging your DNS requests because you won't be using their DNS servers.

If you adpot a VPN service, the your IP address will not be recorded on the destination website logs.

Whatever site you visit, if you choose to use Tor or i2p? then don't login to any website as your privacy and security might be compromised via the Tor Exit node where the operator (not to be trusted) could be using wireshark to record to packet traffic including your account information (name, address, credit card info, etc.).

Almost any Linux Live CD/USB can be enhanced with Firefox (usual default Linux browser) plugins, like Flash Video Downloader, but to be anonymous you would probably need to use Tor, with a Tor browser bundle, and then download what packages/plugins you need from the Linux distributions repositories.

-- Tom

8. lotuseclat79

Hi Norman,

While they may not have inquired, they most definitely have been logging where your go, i.e. what web pages you visit, and that information can be correlated and given to authorities via warrants. It may even be sold to advertisers, etc. and end up in vast databases in a warehouse on long lasting digital media, with other artifacts of the digital age.

If you haven't read your ISP's privacy policy in a long time, you might want to look it up again.

-- Tom

9. Brandonn2010

When I started using Norton DNS a while back, I set it in our router so I wouldn't have to manually change it on all our home's PCs, so I am using Norton DNS right now, not my ISP's (Comcast).

And about my iPod question?

10. My opinion, anonymous browsing isn't for you. Mint or Ubuntu should do you fine. Just download the TOR browser bundle and your set. Liberte & Talis are not meant for what you need it for.

11. Brandonn2010

Well if my iPod browsing is tracked like a normal computer, I don't need to worry about anonymous browsing at all.

12. I think you should stick to Ubuntu or Mint if you want to use an IPOD. Also flash isn't really associated with anonymous browsing, it leaks your real i.p. The same with java.

Just get a base Mint or Ubuntu install and get the TOR browser bundle for Linux IMHO. Your pretty much set and you can browse anonymously while having the creature comforts such as flash and your IPOD.

13. Brandonn2010

Please bear with me as I'm confused by your responses or the other way around.

1. I would like to visit certain sites with my IP hidden.

2. I have visited these sites already on my iPod Touch for some time.

3. If my IP was tracked from my iPod, then I don't care about anonymous browsing and would just use my PC with Windows.

4. Has my IP already been tracked by me going to these sites on my iPod?

Thanks and sorry :D

14. 1. You can do this VIA a VPN, TOR or I2P. Linux LiveCD your looking for could be Talis or Liberte, or using a VPN or the TOR Linux Browser Bundle on another distro like Mint, Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu.

2. What sites are they?

3. Most likely it has been tracked or recorded. Again what sites? Gmail? Hotmail? Message Boards? Then yes it would be tracked. NEVER mix your anonymous identity with your normal browsing identity.

4. Again most likely, what sites are you talking about? Are you using public wi-fi? Or your home connection?

15. Brandonn2010

The sites are sites of ill-repute (please don't make me say it), but legal.

My iPod is connected to the same WiFi connection all our PCs are connected to.

The connected is distributed by our wireless router, and as stated earlier, Norton DNS is set in the router.

16. LOL, pr0n I bet. hotgrandmas.com? Well, most likely they have your i.p address. If you don't have to login I wouldn't worry about it. But if you have to login maybe think about creating a new account to use with anonymous browsing.

17. Brandonn2010

I didn't want to say it but yes lol. And none require login so I guess I could use my PC to go to them, though I may still use a Linux distro to avoid malware. I've got AppGuard but better safe than sorry. Just because I have a bulletproof vest doesn't mean I should look to get shot.

18. Brandonn2010

New question. How can I download Flash video from sites? In Mint I tried 3 different Flash downloaders, 2 online downloaders, and checking the cache, but none could do it. I believe it has to do with how Flash plays videos now? Or can the sites have security measures in place to prevent video downloads?

19. lotuseclat79

Try using the Firefox plugin Flash Video Downloader Youtube Downloader 3.6.9. It helps you download any video )flv, mp4) from YouTube-like video sharing websites. You can download mp3,(iPod), avi and more. Also, downloads Flash games.

Try setting your Downloads directory to your Desktop.

-- Tom

20. Brandonn2010

Well all the downloaders I tried either didn't support the site, or they only had a player.swf that was only a matter of KB large. Even right-clicking the page to view info, and trying to save the embedded player.swf didn't yield the video.

21. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

I don't get why you want to download the stuff. Just browse it at will using Tor. You'll be anonymous and untracked.

If you download the stuff to your computer, then it could be found on your computer.

Why leave evidence if you'd rather not be discovered?

Install the Tor browser bundle:
    https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.