need help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roland deschain, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roland deschain

roland deschain Registered Member

i need any info that somebody knows about registry cleaner
    how do u know if it is ok for the program to fix what it says has errors
    it says u can do some dam. with this program if u dont know what u r doing
    so if any one knows any thing please reply ty o_O

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Indead with most registry cleaners, the program can tell you a file can be deleted when in fact it shouldn't be as it is an important file. Unless there is somewhere on the internet where you can post your logs and ask the permission of an advanced user, I would suggest either don't use the software or if you realy have to avoid deleting files which sound important if you can tell.

Jimbob

3. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

I agree with Jimbob. when it comes to the registry, when in doubt refrain from deleting anything.

I kinda like RegSeeker when it comes to a registry program.
    ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY DELETIONS

4. Jimbob1989

What exactly are the advantages of running such tools?

Jimbob

5. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

The Windows Registry is a critical element of your PC. Over time, it becomes cluttered and slow. Registry tools clean, backup, compact, and defragment your Registry for optimal performance.
    Clean up your Desktop and Start Menu by re-linking or removing broken Shortcut links.

Some info on registry cleaners http://pages.infinit.net/carbo1/registryeditors.html

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps I'm mis-understanding that comment....but be advised....mucking in the registry manually or via a Reg cleaning program does not delete the actual files from your hard drive. While you can effect the usefulness of a file by mucking in the registry....the file still remains on your hard drive.

7. Jimbob1989

Sorry, by file I meant value or key.

Jimbob

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Big difference....but as long as you understand there is a difference that's what matters....especially when you are offering advice about the registry.

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

in the results of alot of reg cleaners they usually give you an idea about what might be OK to remove in a colour coded way - green should be OK to remove and red might not be safe to remove. like the picture below. however, if you dont know what you are doing it would be best to leave it, or at the very least make sure you back up the keys you remove. im going to reinstall my OS in the next day or so and it might be because of useing reg cleaners.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.