Need help with laptop problem

Discussion in 'hardware' started by zopzop, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

My friend is having a problem with his laptop. It just started 2 days ago. Bascially it won't turn on and stay on.

You press the power button it glows like it's turning on then 1 second later it turns off. Doesn't make a difference if it's with the battery and plugged in or without the battery and plugged in.

It turns on for a second or two (literally) then instantly turns off. What can be causing this?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zopzop, look at this cNet forum thread: Laptop troubleshooting: Laptop won't turn on?, especially Post #9 and possibly Post #11.

Post back and let us know if any of those steps fixed the issue. If not, posting the laptop's manufacturer and model number could be helpful.

3. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Nope none of those steps worked.

It's a Compaq Presario F700.

One thing though. When I was following the steps in post 11 on the link you gave me (removing the memory and replacing it again), I noticed an empty space where it looks like a battery should be.

By battery I mean those little round batteries. I asked my friend about it and he told me something "fell out" of his laptop. Could that be what's causing this?

4. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Yes :D

5. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

@Pinga

Do you know what it's called so I can order him a replacement?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

zopzop, here's a direct PDF link to his User Manual. Go to Page 44 and there you will find the instructions on replacing the RTC (Real Time Clock) Battery and Part Number.

JR

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I don't think the problem is in the RTC battery. Without it, the CMOS will be cleared on every power-off, so you would have to enter the CMOS data manually on each boot-up. This is the only downside of missing RTC battery afaik, the PC itself will just fail to boot, but it will stay on.
    A much more menacing beast lurks here.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Seer, I don't doubt that a bug could be lallygagging somewhere, yet from the beginning it sounded like a dropped laptop, and reading that something "fell out" implies a drop, which could affect many other parts as well. An RTC battery might be the cheapest repair. ;)

As I understand it and correct me if I'm wrong, in order to boot, CMOS RAM is needed for a computer to know a hard drive's configuration, and if this laptop (circa 2007) has the built-in RAM in its RTC chip, the battery would assist the BIOS during the boot process.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hey JRViejo. Yes, you are right, RTC battery will help CMOS to retain data (date, time, HDD info, boot order, etc.). But it will not affect powerup process. You will fail to boot without CMOS, but the PC wil stay on, saying for example "failed to boot, no boot device detected", or something like that.
    This PC is powering off after 2 seconds, which implies (to me) that something different than BIOS problem is at large here.

10. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Seer, I see your point and agree with you. Let's see if zopzop returns with more info.

JR

11. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Hello guys sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy weekend.

Ok I'm gonna tell him to order that part JRViejo mentioned in his link. I'll let you know if it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.