Need help uninstalling Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Icewind, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Icewind

Icewind Registered Member

I tried to uninstall Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i, but I couldn't. Tried to delete files to free up some .dll resources so that I can rid them, but to no avail. Even used the Windows Task Manager to try and terminate the program... nup. Not even that worked. :mad:

Does anyone have any idea how to uninstall this program? o_O

By the way, I can't use Add or Remove Programs because the program doesn't appear in the list. :doubt:

I haven't tried regedit or msconfig yet, since I have no idea on how to remove keys, without screwing up Windows, which is something I don't intend on doing. :eek:

Thanks, :D
    Davo.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I wouldn't start usually randomly deleting files. You can remove it simply by running the installer again.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

My above post that Ronjor pointed to is apparently only for the Home edition of McAfee.

Apparently in some cases with XP,SP2, there is no remove button visible for the Enterprise Edition. Therefore, a registry hack is suggested; http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=41232

However, if you do not like playing about with the registry, as VikingStorm, suggested, install again and see if the remove button now appears.

If not, monitor a fresh install with Total Uninstall; http://www.martau.com/ then remove with this program. This free program should clear away most/all of the McAfee entries.

Keep us informed.

Any specific reason? This is a top notch AV.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

i have installed and removed this program at least a dozen times and it always does a complete uninstall. Reinstall 8.0i and then remove it through add/remove programs and it will be gone. It has a much better uninstaller than the home edition

bigc

6. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I agree this is one AV that is easily taken care of, as stated there is instructions to manually remove at McAfee's website.

7. Icewind

Thanks, Blackcat but how do you use the program Total Uninstall? o_O

Take me through it step-by-step so that I know what to do. ;)

Thanks,
    Davo.

8. Blackcat

I agree that he should try a normal install/uninstall cycle but on some systems as I already stated previously, the normal Add/Remove does not work.

Icewind try this procedure with Total Uninstall;

1. In main Window, select "Install a new application". In the empty window, simply name the program, e.g. McAfee AV.

2. Select, Next. Then select Next again on the second Window, TU will now take a snapshot of your registry.

3. When this is finished, you will be presented with a new Install Window. Select Browse button and then find where the Enterprise version is on your disc. Then simply double -click on this file as you would in a normal install. TU will now monitor the changes to your Registry etc during your install of McAfee.

4. Reboot after the Install. Then start TU again but this time select "Uninstall or view changes of monitored application". Then you can select 'McAfee AV' in the Uninstall Window. Select 'Next' and this will take you to the Detected changes Window. Just select Next again and hopefully McAfee will uninstall cleanly.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  9. Icewind

Thanks, Blackcat you're a legend! ;)

Also, my thanks to all other people who have helped me to try and uninstall Mcafee Virusscan Enterprise 8.0i, I appreciate it. :)

Davo.

10. Blackcat

Glad we could be of some help.

Thanks in posting back. A lot of people do not bother, so we are not sure whether our advice was good or not ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.