Need Help uninstalling Ewido 4.0!

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by imaginos, Dec 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imaginos

imaginos Registered Member

Hello all. I need some help with uninstalling Ewido 4.0.

I uninstalled Ewido 4.0 via the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature. I then went searching for any remnants that may have been left over and found in the C:\Program Files\Ewido 4.0\ folder a file named shellexecutehook.dll

When I try and delete this code/file I get the dreaded "access denied" message and cannot delete it.

Questions:

1) Is it safe for me to delete this dll?
    2) If the answer to 1 is "yes", how can I go about deleting it? Do I need to be in safe mode? Based on answers to #1, I'll try that tonight.

Thanks for listening,

imaginos

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

If you are uninstalling ewido then of course you will want to remove shellexecutehook.dll. It should have been deleted during your uninstall - did you remember to shut down and exit from ewido before attempting to uninstall? Also it is adviseable to reboot after an uninstall.

Going into safe mode should be sufficient to remove it. Failing that you could use Unlocker:-

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/#download

or use any of the progs that delete on reboot.

.dlls normally need to be unregistered if you want to delete them. But the above is simpler if you don't know how to register/unregister .dlls.

3. imaginos

imaginos Registered Member

Thank you very much. I was able to delete it in safe mode. I did ensure Ewido was shut down and no processes running before uninstalling, and I did reboot afterwards.

Very odd, but I achieved the cleanup that was needed. Thank you again for your help.

imaginos

4. jackyshi3333

jackyshi3333 Registered Member

but on my machine, in the ewido anti-malware directory, there is a guard.sys file, it can be deleted. But at once, it appears again, i want to know how to delete it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.