Need help trying to identify possible hijack problem

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by c0rp53, Dec 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c0rp53

c0rp53 Registered Member

In the past, I've done a pretty good job of preventing and eliminating various spyware apps, but this one has me VERY stumped.. I suspect a rootkit got on my system, maybe thanks to a torrent d/l (serves me right, hehe)...

I have run bitdefender and sophos and neither have anything bad to say.. I ran the sophos rootkit detection/prevention stuff, and nothing turns up.. The only sign of a problem, which is a big one, is acting like a web proxy.. I can visit a site like google, only for it to tell me Access Denied.. Another time I went to msn, and it gave me a german message telling me the site not found. Or going to another site gave me a google search page, as if it were redirecting me to google. During all these problems, my vpn connection is working great - I can browse the web to my 192.168 vpn connections, even use my winvnc and remote desktop connections (although I probably shouldn't if there's password sniffing going on <shrug>)

Even in the middle of a problem (like when a site shows me the google page instead of the right page (again, displaying, NOT redirecting) - I can do a tracert and it shows the sames stuff as the other working machines in the house.

I certainly know its not an ISP issue, as the other machines in the house are fine. I manually researched ALL the visible processes running, and am not seeing anything wrong.

I'm at a loss on what to do next.. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.