Need Help Restoring Backup Image To New Hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gkreid, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gkreid

gkreid Registered Member

I must be getting off track somewhere, b/c this isn't working for me. I am a newbie, so maybe someone could enlighten me.

I have TI9 WS Build 3,677 and Universal Restore. I made a full back up of my 40GB file server using an 80GB usb external hard drive. I also made a universal restore boot disk.

For testing purposes, I bought a brand new 80GB hard drive for a spare pc in our office. I booted this pc using the boot cd. I chose "Add Disk" and let the software prepare my new hard drive for restoration.

Then, I chose "Recovery" from the universal restore boot disk GUI. I selected my source .tib file and my source hard drive (the 80GB external). Next, I selected the freshly prepared 80GB hard drive as my destination drive. At this point, I am prompted to click "Done" (or maybe "Finish"). At this point, my spare PC restarts. With the boot disk still in the CD-ROM drive, my spare PC states "Secondary hard disk drive 1 not found Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility"

If I select F1, then a cursor blinks under the statement I just mentioned. I'm not sure if the restore is occuring at this point, or what exactly is going on. I have let this process run for over 1 hour, but nothing else ever happens.

One more thing... If I step through the previously mentioned recovery procedure and take the Universal Restore boot disk out of the CD-ROM drive during the inevitable reboot that follows completion of selecting my source and destination drives, then the pc states that the NTLDR is missing. However, my recover process prompts me for which partitions to restore and I am choosing "entire disk" (which puts a check mark beside my partitions and my Master Boot Record) Everything is checked, so that all files and partitions from the original disk should be restored to the brand new hard disk.

Shouldn't the NT Loader from my original hard disk be copied over to the new hard disk?

Both TI 9.0 WS and Universal Restore have these nice looking GUI's that stay on the screen while creating a backup or formatting a hard disk. This leads me to believe that no resore process is actually occuring when my pc reboots after completion of the "Restore" procedure and a cursor blinks indefinately on the start up screen for my pc.

Can anyone advise me how to perform this operation correctly?

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice!!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello gkreid,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (3832) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Please be aware that you should also update all components including Acronis Agents, Acronis Management Console, Acronis Backup and Group Servers, Acronis Universal Restore (if any) as it is obligatory for all components to be of the same build in order to interact correctly.

Please create a new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update and see the issue persists.

Please note that at this point the restoration process should start and you should be able to see the progress bars of the restore operation. Please clarify, if you Acronis True Image behave this way or your computer reboots after you press the "Proceed" button.

Please also create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. If you do not have a floppy drive to create Linux System information, please take a look at this previous post explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please note that disk/partition image contains a copy of track 0 along with MBR (master boot record) and if you select to restore the entire hard drive the MBR will also be restored to the new hard disk. Please have a look at this thread for details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.