Need help replacing power supply

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Blah333, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blah333

Blah333 Registered Member

The old power supply on my computer has a 80mm fan that faces the back of the computer with openings on the other side of the power supply.

Does the new power supply need to be the same? Or can I use one where it has a 120mm fan that's on the bottom and the openings are on the side so it's facing the back of the computer?

I want to replace this power supply - LC-8460BTX 450W ATX

with this one - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W

Can I do that? Is that ok since the fans are in different places on the power supply?

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Blah333, first, welcome to Wilders! The norm is to install a new PS with the same configuration of an old one, but in order for someone to properly help you, can you provide your PC's Make and Model?

Also, why you are replacing a 450W PS with a 650W PS? Are you thinking of upgrading to a better Graphics card as well?

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

the two you posted are compatible. you will be fine putting the corsair in there. the corsair are AWESOME power supplies but they are a bit expensive and you may not need to spend that much. but if you are looking for the upper end the tx line is very nice. i use the hx line myself which is the next level up from what you are looking at.

but to answer your question yes you can 100% use the corsair in place of what you have if you want to. the fan does not matter much and almost all the better / newer ones use the 120mm to 140mm fan instead of the rear ones anymore. the back of the corsair is still vented so it pulls air from inside and blows it out through the rear vent..

lmk if i can answer anymore questions. im a pc repair tech and own a shop here in florida.

and newegg has a better price after rebates on this one.. 69.99 is killer for this one. and corsair rocks with rebates fyi

lol edit: beat to the newegg info

5. Blah333

Blah333 Registered Member

For one thing, a new PSU needs to be installed ASAP. The only one I could find locally was the 650W. Also, I'm not sure the 450w was powerful enough.

This isn't my computer so I don't know all the specs, but here's what I know:
    Core 2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
    MS-7236 - motherboard
    2 GB RAM
    2 hard drives
    2 optical drives (dvd burners I think)
    6 USB ports
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200
    Windows XP SP3

I think the case is a Athenatech A412BB.400

Also, the old PSU is a 450w LC-8460BTX, but it's apparently not the same one I linked to in my original post. I think the brand is Starpower. I think the specs are different, but I can't find one like the one in this computer.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Blah333, looking at an Athenatech A412BB.400 case, it appears that the case comes with a 400W PS, unless someone changed it.

I agree with FastGame and zfactor; you can't go wrong with a Corsair, and if the above is the same case you are working with, that Corsair 650W should fit. Perhaps some light reading will help: Choosing the right power supply for your computer.

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

A Corsair HX 850 modular replaced my old 650 W supply, with no hesitation or qualms opting for the extra 200 W. With a 5 yr warranty and my pc already 4 yrs old, I envision keeping it for an upgrade within the next couple years. Yes, they are fantastic power supplies.

The only problem is it sticks out the back of the case, something I knew before purchase, so I had to retool a bit with some hex standoffs, machine scews and washers. It worked out pretty good. Note the mounting plate bolted to the hex standoffs to keep the unit from sliding backwards.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.