Need help putting an image of a drive on a different computer...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by waldothewonderboy, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waldothewonderboy

waldothewonderboy Registered Member

I have Acronis True Image 9 installed on a computer I have at home. I've mostly been using it to back up critical data. What I'd like to do now, though, is to image the entire C:\ drive from that computer, and install the image on the hard drive of a completely different computer.

But I'm running into a problem. I can't seem to find anything in the Acronis user's guide that explains how to perform that specific task. Could someone explain to me how that can be done, and where it explains that task in the Acronis 9 user's manual? I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Is the hardware on the two PC's identical in every, and I do mean every, respect?

Blue

3. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

There are many reasons why this cannot be done as a straightforward operation if at all.

You original installation went through an install process which matched the OS with the computer hardware. The result of transferring this tailor made system to completely different hardware will not be bootable.

Assuming that you have a genuine CD for you operating system your best bet would be to install it on the new computer and make your peace with Microsoft regarding activation of the new computer.

Xpilot

4. waldothewonderboy

No, it's not. That's why I was asking. I know that something like what I was asking about could be problematic, since the OS would be looking at completely different hardware. I was just wondering if there was a way to get around that restriction.

5. waldothewonderboy

That's a shame, because I have the desktop, applications, etc., set up just the way I like it, and I want to move it to a faster computer.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Microsoft have a program called Files, settings and transfer Wizard which is designed to do just that.
    It will be in your list of programs and it has a read me file.

Xpilot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.